New to Card audio and totally lost

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by binkieee, Apr 17, 2010.

1. binkieee

binkieee New Member

Okay, so I have a 2009 Mitsu Lancer GTS. I'd like to get a 12 inch sub, perhaps two. I'd like to keep the stock headunit and speakers, although I'm not on a super strict budget so if they must be replaced so be it, just being the first car I don't want to be toying around with it to much. I'd really appreciate if someone could give me some input on setups and perhaps educate me a tad on this stuff thanks.

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

how much money do you want to spend?

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

your first thing to look at is a Line Out Converter. it will take your speaker wire output from the head unit and convert it to an rca out for the amp that you will run to your sub.

or you can look for an amp that will take a speaker wire input too, and not need the LOC.
    those are harder to find but can save you some time and money from looking for a good LOC.

replacing your stock speakers with new ones is usually a good first start. for the sake of saving money you could just get a nice set of front speakers and keep the rears stock.

aside from that what kind of sound are you looking for? street jamming or enhancing your radio with some decent bottom end for reg music listening.

4. binkieee

binkieee New Member

well the first placed i started looking around was at subs. I was thinking of getting a single 12" Kicker 2-ohm CompVX in kickers enclosure. From there I was looking at amps but again, im new to this so im not to keen on what works well with what.

I've just been reading up on stuff to get a basic understand of it all

5. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I would say build the system from the front back. Head unit should be first, then comps and amp, then sub and amp. This ensures you get the most from your system, a sub will drown out stock speakers and everything starts out at the head unit.

If you don't want to toy with a new car radio then I understand, but you will need LOCs and you may not be able to hear music too well. What are you looking for out of the system? Super loud bass? Sound quality? Or somewhere in between?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. binkieee

binkieee New Member

Preferably somewhere in between. I'd rather not like you said toy around with the radio as it looks like a hassle, but I figured it would eventually have to be done.

7. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

If you are mostly happy with your current set-up (sound quality-wise and volume-wise) then you could get the convertor and an amp and a decent sub. If you start putting in two subs (or more)with a monster amp, you will sooner than later overpower your audio system with bass...it all depends on what you want...It sounds like to me you want one of two things...

1. enhance the low end of your current system with a nice sub and amp. You should get a little more overall volume from the current system since it will not be trying to pump out the low end too....

2. you want super bass and are not worried about the overall quality of the "total" sound...

I have seen plenty of both kinds of set ups and if one of those is what you want, it can be easily achieved...If you want pretty loud sound AND very good quality then adding a HU, new front and rear speakers and good quality multi-channel amplification...

Most stock set-ups today in the modern cars have a pretty good overall sound quality and adding some low end extension to it can work wonders...

Willy