New to amps/subs- need a guide/advice for basics and wiring

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by hss2010, Sep 6, 2011.

1. hss2010

hss2010 Full Member

Question about wiring speakers and sub to amp(s)

Ok so wiring in a sub to amp is simple enough. Ive never wired in regular speakers to an amp before.

If I run a sub and speakers on two separate amps I need to run two power leads from the battery to the two amps and two amp remote wires as well. Right?

Lets say I have 2 6x9's can i run them off a mono amp or would I need a 2 channel?
    What if I have 4 6x9's or just 4 speakers in general?

How would I wire 2 6x9's to an amp? both positives of the two speakers to the same place and same for the negatives? or would they need there own positive and negative terminals on the amp? pros cons of wiring together? series or parallel?

How would I wire 4 speakers?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. saikman

saikman Member

In answering your first question, you don't have to run to power leads from the battery, you can run one power lead to a ground block then have two feeds from that ground block to you amps. You can bridge the remote wires from one amp to the other. I personally would recommend a two channel amp to run your two 6x9's or if you need to run 4 speakers go with a 4 channel amp. It's very simple to wire the 4 speakers using the 4 ch amp, no need to do any series or parallel hookup if you use the 4 ch amp. If you are using 2 separate amps, I would suggest using a passive crossover which are relatively inexpensive.