New Soundstream System

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by dogla, Jun 9, 2010.

1. dogla

dogla Full Member

Installed a full (well almost full Soundstream system in my Pathfinder and all I can say is ..wow.. Anyone have any experiance with Soundstream? I bought the Tarantula series stuff but one unit is kinda a pain for me to tune - the BX-10 Digital Bass processor. I read that it restores "lost" or hidden basslines but for my rap and hip hop music (which I listen to the most) it sounds horrible. I think I'm gonna sell it and just buy a crossover. I'll be posting some pics soon.

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

That amp has a max input voltage of 8 volts and that processor can put out 13.5 volts, if you are giving it to much signal it will distort. try turning your gain down on the processor. If there is a numerical setting on it try 7.5 if you can, I had this exact problem before.

3. dogla

dogla Full Member

Thanx but to change those settings you need to adjust some internal jumpers. I already tried all 4 different settings 2.5, 5, 7.5 and 10+volt but 7.5 and 10+ distords the most. It's said that this unit needs to be constantly tuned, a little exhausting since I don't listen to only one kind of music and the unit is in the back of my truck. Right now it's on the lowest setting and when I turn up the gain at almost max you can hear like double bass and it sounds really chaotic.

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

How high do you have the gain set on your amp?

5. dogla

dogla Full Member

Gain on the amp is about 2/3 up. When I increase boost on dash knob of BX-10 then the bass distords. So I have to keep that on minimum.

6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Try turning the gain down somewhat and any bass boost or loudness controls on your headunit turn them off, then see what happens. Who told you that you need to constantly change the settings on this unit?

7. dogla

dogla Full Member

I have no bass boost or loudness turned on on my head unit and currently the EQ settings for bass are -2. A friend of mine who owns a BX-12 said that his dash mount remote has 2 knobs, one for boost and one for frequency. He told me this unit is mainly for competition and when you listen to one type of music. I kinda found that stupid 'cause i don't think Soundstream is going to build something just for 1 type of listener right? Maybe the music files i have aren't that "clean" and that's what's distorting the bass lines when I turn up the bass remote of BX-10. I'm at work right now and won't be able to test it some more until next thursday. Do you recommend i keep this for myself or sell it and buy a 3-way crossover like this
    [​IMG]

Because if I don't have any advantages with the BX-10 then what's the point. Have you ever tried such a unit? What does it do actually, notice any difference over stock without any x-over?

8. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I just think your gain on your amp is set to high. Set the bx10 to 7 and turn your gain all the down on your amp then turn your head unit up to about the highest level you would listen to it. Start turning up the gain unitl you start getting distortion then back it off just a bit. I had the exact problem with my PG line driver, my Eclipse amp sounded great but my Fosgate amp didnt like all that input voltage and distorted. i had to turn the gain way down to get clean sound.

9. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

you really dont need an external crossover like you are showing, you have coaxial speakers so they are full range and your amps also have hi and lo pass settings. The BX-10 is pretty much a line driver with bass boost, just to put it in simple terms. You can look at Audiocontrol epicenter or MTX's RE-Q, they are pretty much the same thing but might work better for you. Try adjusting your gain first.

10. dogla

dogla Full Member

Here are some pics of the equipment I bought for the truck

Head Unit
    [​IMG]

All Soundstream, Scosche and Emmerson gear except for the door speakers - those were received 2 weeks earlier and were already installed in the truck.
    [​IMG]

You can see the MINI-ANL fuses (125A), an Emmerson Mobile TV-Tuner, TRX700D sub amp, TRX4.640 mids amp, T5-12 Sub, 12" chrome woofer grill, BX-10 Bass Processor, PowerPlant2 Powerdistribution, Soundstream WK-2G 2-gauge wiring kit, Scosche RCA.

When I'm back at home I'll make some pics of the final installation, maybe make a short vid of the sub and installation.

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok i know im waaay late on this post. i havent been on here to much lately; been real busy with...life,lol.

ok heres the deal on the bx-10. its just like an epi center. it is a bass restoration unit. it is totally useless for you if the program material you listen to has heavy bass in it.

i have an epic-160 and it has a on/off button. best unit ever! for me it works best with old rock music and some other types. if it has NO bass this is a unit for you.

also yes it needs to be tweaked for each song, some need the bass boosted at different frequencies.

now im not sure if you got rid of it already, but i just wanted to tell you its worthless on bass/rap, or anything with heavy bass already in the song. or you will get that double bass sound you mentioned. it does it to me when i forget to turn it off after a song that needs it.

12. dogla

dogla Full Member

yeah figured that. Thanx for the xtra info. I should have done some more digging before buying this. For the rest I'm pretty pleased about my system. Performs like it should, although I haven't pushed it to the max yet since I don't think it's broken in yet.

13. eviling

eviling Full Member

that 4200 is an epix deck, and soundsteam makes good stuff. you'll be hard pressed to stay in a brand and get a sound you like, me, i have jbl speakers, polk sub, alpine amps, and an eclipse deck lol. but i'm changing out my sub for a jbl sub, and putting in that 4200, and maybe an ms-8, and going active.

14. dogla

dogla Full Member

Man....major bummers last week. I soldered all connections of the power cable, where it goes into the distributor, amps, battery. But guess what....the soldering liquid I used maybe didn't completely burn out and cost the cable to oxidate. The power and ground connections just broke off and left all the hard soldered pieces inside the connectors. That was a hell of a job to remove all those soldered pieces. After that I had to redo my wiring, obviously the cables got shorter.... It's a good thing I still had some lengths of power cable lying around.
    And second bummer, not long after all was finished.....enjoyed my sound one again, some lame ass f***er was racing past me on a gravel road and a small rock flew and cracked my rear glass. Man I was ****ed. Couldn't follow the guy since he was driving a sprts car and just rocketed away. F***er..... Now again I can't feel my base since I'm afraid the glass wont hold.