New Plan: I Must Be Fucking Insane

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by AbRaKaDaVa, Sep 26, 2002.

1. AbRaKaDaVa

AbRaKaDaVa Full Member

Okay...I've been trying to come up with funds for my frontstage forever now and every time i get some cash something new comes up...I'm absolutly sick and goddamn tired for running stock speakers...sooooo.....

I have some home speakers that I use only on a very rare occasion...a pair of Infinity 5000's and a pair of Cerwin Vega HED 1200's...they are both from the 1970's...one pair from like 74..one from 79...

In any case, I'm going to pull the midrange and tweeters from these things and use them in the car...At first I wanted to use either all Infinity or all CV drivers...but...both posed a problem...See...The Infinity's have silk dome tweeters and they are fucking HUGE, Geo explained to me why the tweeters are mounted in a large plate the way they are but...eh...Its late and I for get the reason behind it...so kickpaneling them would not be the easiest thing on the planet...sooo...I tried the Vegas...well they sound like absolute ass...the midbass is there a little bit more than the infinity set but it just sounded flat, boring, no body to the music...so I said fuck it and coupled the Infinity midwoofer with the Cerwin Vega tweeter...that actualy produced the best overall sound IMO...so that is what I am going with...

Thing is, Vega tweeter is 8ohms...Infinity woofer is 4 :angry:

But...lucky lucky me I happen to have a 4 channel amp, and on top of that, another unused Power Acoustik 2 channel class A/B amp :D

Sooooo....Here's the plan...the tweeters will be powered off two of the channels of my Lanzar giving them about 45-50rms a piece...the midranges will be powered off the other two channels and should recieve about...80-100rms a piece...the midbass drivers...which I have yet to decide on or even begin to look for will be run off of the Power Acoustik getting 350rms each...and my subs will be run off of a JBL 1200.1 getting about 600-700rms each :D

Now for the major problem...crossovers...how in the fuck am I going to properly cross all this shit over? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use active crossovers? :(

Ugh, the insanity of it all :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Midbass suggestions (CHEAP KEEP IN MIND KEY WORD IS CHEAP) Active crossover networks or some other way of crossing all this shit over? Anything else you can think of that I'm leaving out??

Oh, and another thing....If I can sell my subs I might step down to a pair of 12's or perhaps a trio if I can fit them...and mounting them in the rear deck...fiberglass to seal off the chamber that is the rear deck...its kinda hard to explain I'll take some pictures of it with a digital camera and maybe measure it to see what kind of airspace I can get out of it...I dunno...I might be going a little nuts here espessialy with my lack of money...so I might just keep the eXcursions and port the rear deck...the Power Acoustik will need to be mounted in that chamber I was talking about within the trunk under the rear deck if I don't pull the subs out because there is literaly no more room left for anything other than up there...

I'm gonna have to do a large awg run and use a distro block...money down the drain on my current wiring :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So all in all this is complete utter insanity and I don't know why the fuck I am doing it...but...if I do manage to get it done right it should sound extreamly good...i might also extend my ports to get a lower tuning frequency...but I'm not sure...we'll see...

God someone shoot me LoL

2. AbRaKaDaVa

AbRaKaDaVa Full Member

Oh jeez, how could I forget my dire need of a new alternator :rolleyes:

Mo' Money Mo' Money!

I need a motherfucking job

3. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

NIGGER RIGGER!!!!! :lol: :p

Jeff

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Check out www.madisound.com for some crossovers. They've also got some pretty good deals on raw drivers if your interested.

5. thumperfbc

thumperfbc Full Member

yo abra... i got a Crossfire CFX3Q 3 way crosover laying around that will work quite nicely for what you are thinking about. it also has a 7 band graphic eq built in...

thing is, I dont know if it works. Its dang ugly, all stained and such. I bought it used for like 12 bucks knowing that it might not work... The scariest part is when I bought it there was a standard 2 prong edison style plug rigged onto the thing, so it might be fried... but it might not... never tried it...

you want it?

6. AbRaKaDaVa

AbRaKaDaVa Full Member

I sure do =D

How about I just cover the extra shipping when I buy that Eclipse?