New Microsoft Tools to Copy-Protect CDs and DVDs

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_Ancient, Jan 23, 2003.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

New Microsoft Tools to Copy-Protect CDs and DVDs

January 22, 2003 -- Microsoft Corp. on Monday announced new copyright protection tools that let recording companies restrict the use of CDs and DVDs on personal computers. Two major recording companies, Universal Music Group, a unit of Vivendi Universal SA, and EMI Group PLC, as well as MPO International Group, a large independent CD maker, have adopted the new software, Microsoft said in a statement released at the Midem music conference in Cannes, France.
    Microsoft's new Windows Media Data Session Toolkit allows media companies to add a protected "second session" to CDs and DVDs for use on PCs. This second session includes the audio and video content in Microsoft's Windows Media format, plus rules for the use of that content, Microsoft said.
    For example, content owners can limit the number of times a user can play the content on a PC and restrict copying of audio and video or transferring of songs to a portable device, Microsoft said. The protection is handled through Microsoft's Windows Media DRM (Digital Rights Management) technology.
    Entire second session offerings could also be made available by recording companies for downloading via the Web, according to Microsoft.
    Some audio CDs on the market already contain copy protection. However, this has led to opposition among users because some protection technologies cause PCs to freeze or make CDs unplayable in car stereos.
    Microsoft's product announcement comes a week after representatives of the recording and technology industries, including Microsoft and the Recording Industry Association of America, urged the U.S. government to keep its hands off of the digital copyright protection issue.
    -IDG News Service

and strike another nail in the coughin of freedom, soon we will have to ask permission to piss :rolleyes:

2. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

You already need permission to pee, LOL... try to take a piss outside of a restroom and you may your self arrested for indecent exposure... (almost happened to me but the cop decided to let me go...) :ph34r: i

With the copy restriction, seems like another move by Microsoft to corner the market and monopolize the software market... There goes the right to copy right beside the right to freedom of speech... Taxation and restriction of personal freedom seems to be a convenient way to run a totalitarian regime and make the rich even richer (I am sure that Gates concoted this scheme out of the goodness of his heart...) :(

3. trifle

trifle Full Member

hmmm...what happened....soon we're not going to be the rightful owners of the material just like software has become....we'll only have "licenses" and they can tell us we can't do shit with them

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

lol like software, they have done a real good job controling that lol

5. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Thats absolutely stupid!

You know someone out there will come out with the software to hack it like they do everything else. But the main thing Im pissed about is the fact that when I buy a CD I like to make a copy of it and put it in the car so if it get scrated up I still have the 'master CD' and I can just go make another copy! Also, for playing DVDs on computers what about all those people who have DVD drives just so they could watch movies on them? (ex. people going on trips)

:angry: I'd rather pay for XM or Sirus!

"Fuck them up their stupid asses!"
    - Jay from 'Jay and Silent Bob'

I think the quote goes something like that :)

6. trifle

trifle Full Member

lol like software, they have done a real good job controling that lol[/b][/quote]
    LMAoo tru...but i'm speaking in terms of legality....

but yes of course, there are endless possibilities (well, not quite, but as methods continue to come about) in programming so every measure taken can be beaten basically

7. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I hope Mr."Ass Monkey" Gates spends millions developing his shitty software and then realize that the people that made the gay programs are the same ones hacking it and selling the hackware to others.

It is always easier to destroy than to build........

If the program isnt hacked in a week:

A: All the hackers are dead
    B: Bill Gates promised to have a special of him being sucked off by a horse