New HU?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I have an Xplod 650X wich is a great reciever that puts a lot of power into my speakers........as hard as that is to believe.
    Only problem is its lack of features. I need Crossovers and Sub Controls so I decided that maybe its time for another HU.
    I saw the pioneer DEH-4400 which has all those and is well below the 200 dollar mark. My friend works at bestbuy so I think I can score a nice discount. Should I go for it? How are theses two recievers in comparison to each other?

2. jstutman

jstutman Full Member

my .02

i hate sony with a passion.
    i hate anything with a built-in amp.
    even when the HU has an option to turn it off, it creates extar heat.

i reccomend alpine, maybe pricey but you get quality and more options.

pioneer, good stuff they seam to have there shit together.

had no ability to pla with any other HU so i can speak for them

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

that built in amp rocks. It pounds the shit outta my stock speakers.
    LOL
    But seriously the HU can easily over power my speakers........my friend had to be a dickhead and play around with my voulme knob and he definetly dislocated somrhtin in my frint right speaker. On certain bass notes it makes the weird vibreating noise like something is coming loose. I am surprised of the bass that I get out of the stock speakers though.......not heart pounding but the sound is there lol.

4. Krelkor

Krelkor Full Member

overpower
    you mean clip? =)

get alpine

5. AbRaKaDaVa

AbRaKaDaVa Full Member

The deck overpowering your speakers?? LMAO :rolleyes: :D

Maybe by sending an EXTREAMLY clipped signal at full volume...but head units only put out something like 12-15 clean rms watts...you REALLY should get an amp...any amp...even a cheap amp would be much better than running off the HU...

As for replacing the HU...I dispise sony...so I say get that peice of garbage xplode outa there :p :D

I just re-read...you're running stock speakers?? I dunno, if it were me, and I had a working HU, some money, and stock speakers i'd hold off on a new deck and but some components...stock speakers really are pretty godawful in most cases...

Last edited by AbRaKaDaVa at Oct 27 2002, 11:10 AM

6. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I think the Pioneer would do you fine, but personnaly I would save up for a really nice one. That way you wont be replacing it down the road when you want something better.

7. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

A good point. I know that If I spend 400 on a HU next year their will be something better and cheaper. This way when you buy midd-level HU you get what you want but at the same time if you have to replace it you dont feel as bad about wasting all that money again. Either case it will have to be a little while until my funds get back to where I want them to be. Subs for now :D

8. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

That pioneer will smear the sony in every aspect. Go pioneer.

9. OR-G

OR-G Guest

The pioneer 6400 you can find for $200 online.

10. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Go alpine, is there any other way to go?!

sandt38, tell him man, dont make the mistake and get a pioneer.

11. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

that depends,

if you want MP3 yes, go alpine or JVC

but Pioneer are still in my top 3 picks for head units

I will ONLY use

Pioneer
    Alpine
    JVC

the rest are either Too expenisve for what they are. ugly, or junk