New Here...Design Me a System

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Corsairkid, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Hey guys, I just signed up here. Nice forum.

I am a complete n00b at car audio, but I am looking to put my first system in my 2007 Dodge Nitro with the stock 6 speaker system.

I have been on other forums, talked to friends, and I am in over my head.

What I am looking for is for someone who knows what they are doing to design me a system within my budget of under $600, not including wiring (my friend will install for $100 incl wiring). The $600 does not include installation.

So what I am looking for is this:

-Head Unit capable of playing a single CD and an Aux input.
    -Sub system (either 2 10" or one 12", what do you think?)
    -Sub box for the sub(s)
    -4 door 6.5" door speakers that will fit in my nitro.
    -an Amp to power it all. (mono? 2-channel? no idea!!)

Hopefully someone out there will be able to help me out...with your recomendations I would also appreciate links to where I can buy this stuff at.

Thanks!

PS:

On a side note, my friend suggested this set up, and got blasted for it on another forum. Is this set up really that bad???

(4) Infinity Kappa 63.7i speakers
    (1) Hifonics BXI 610 Amp
    (2) Alpine SWE-1043 10" subs
    (1)Pioneer DEH-11E Head Unit

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

sounds like an ok set up to me. did they give you any reasons why they bashed it?

how many channels is the hifonics amp?1,2,4, 5?

3. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

It is a mono channel amp.

On the other forum, they said that the HU was the only decent piece of equipment. Said the Kappas were one of the worst comps on the market, and the Hifonic amp is a "prone failure".

4. pedro quiroga

ive had a set of infinity 4x6 plates for over 4 years. still work great. as far as the other stuff goes if its properly installed and not abused it should give you years of use.

5. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Ok thanks for your advice!

6. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Here give me a few minutes and I'll see what i come up with.

7. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Also, would a mono amp be enough to power all of this? Or do I need to look for a 2-channel?

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Some say that Hifonics are prone to failure but it's all how you take care of your equipment. For me, they are good amps for the money. Just stick with the Brutus line.

Now infinity, some say their highs are too bright but that's all personal preference. Infinity makes solid speakers. Of course, there are better stuff out there but for your budget they are fine.

You may want to take a look at PG RSD's, i think they'll be cheaper then the infinity and i've heard that they sound great especially for the money.

9. jonnyv713

NOW, THAT ^^^ is a badass system for $590! build yourself a box thats about 3ft^3 tuned to umm 34hz and it will rock your world and sound great doin it! Someone here will help you with the box design when you get that far.

10. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

yeah that is a good setup that Jonny picked out I have the same headunit and it is really good for the price, but I got mine new on ebay for $60 shipping included.

11. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Thanks for all of the help guys. Really appreciate it. I guess my biggest question now is that 5 channel amp really necessary? I have been told that a mono will be just fine...who is right here?

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

well, if you go with a 5 channel you won't have to mess around with distribution blocks for the power and you won't have to ground 2 amps. It will also save you some space.

that system that jonny put up for you is good. Power bass is solid. I think ranger's son has PB and his son's system kick the snot out of some kids JL audio system.

I liked how you slipped the RSD's in there jonny. lol

with the right enclosure that should be loud as balls!

13. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Ok great! Also, how do you guys feel about onlinecarstereo.com? I have heard both good and bad things about them...but their prices can't be beaten.

14. pedro quiroga

what do you mean "power all of this" ? do you mean all the speakers? or just the sub? cause a mono amp is just a 1 ch amp usually for sub/s.

if you want to power all the speakers then the 5ch that jonny put up will do it just fine.

15. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Well, would that head unit be enough to power the speakers? If so, then the mono should be able to do the sub. But if the HU can't do the speakers, then I guess the 5 channel would be necessary.

16. jonnyv713

umm... I hope they are good cause I just ordered an amp from them. LOL and if you wanna have loud clean speakers, get the 5 ch. It will make a big difference in sound quality and loudness when putting an amp to them instead of just the hu.

17. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Another question...if I were to go ahead and get the subs my friend suggested, would it really be that bad? He has custom built boxes for them that he is giving me a great deal on, so I would hate to pass that up if they will be decent subs.

And I did some reading on mono vs multi channel amps and it seems like a mono is good if you want to pump a lot of bass, and multi is good if you want to get more of a surround sound feel. Am I on the right track?

Edit: Jonny, I have read that their site doesn't always list what they have in stock, and has been known to give people PC viruses. Although, many people swear by them and highly recommend them.

18. jonnyv713

The 5ch has a mono channel as well as a 4 ch for the speakers. So it's just two amps in one. There is no difference in 500 watts in the mono channel in the 5 ch or just a 500 watts in just a mono amp. They can both be adjusted the same. The difference is louder cleaner sound from the 4 other speakers.

Now I just bet we can make those ones I suggested sound better than the ones ire bud did. A custom box costs 35 dollars and you can have it just how you want it and take pride in it. Plus, it's a great learning experience!

19. Corsairkid

Corsairkid Full Member

Got it, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!