New Car

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by jdr_sl, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jdr_sl

jdr_sl New Member

Hey there,

I'm fairly new to car audio and I just bought my first car. I'm looking to put in a serious sound system that's SQ-SQL based. (I'm not a teen who likes his car to shake and not hear the music cause it's rattling) I'd like to know what you guys suggest. I live in Canada so things are harder to get and cost more.

I'm currently considering CDT 3 Way Euro Comps and two JL 10w7's...

I'm buying an Eclipse cd8455 HU

I need to know what type of amps I should use? And what and where I can get some sound deadener? Should I consider using a single sub? What else will I need?

BTW, the car is a 2005 Audi S4

Thanks

2. jdr_sl

jdr_sl New Member

Or perhaps I should consider the Rainbow Platinum line of comps?

I'd really like help.

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

What area of Canada? Near Toronto? West coast?
    I'm not far from the Canadian border, just south of Toronto and Niagara Falls.

A lot of the "what should I buy?" answer comes from two major qualifications:

1) What experience do you have in audio (aka. what are your references to which you will be comparing this to?), and how much experience (how much will you appreciate subtle nuances comparing one sound to another anyway?)?

2) What personal preferences do you have for sound? Do you like bright and hard? Do you like soft and stress free? Do you like a flat response? Do you like one weighted more heavily in the treble or bass?

Even among high-end product, there are many differences between products. ;)

It's also going to be difficult to get good recommendations in selecting equipment, because it's unlikely that most people will have heard one of these products, much less multiples.

What you CAN get from threads like this are products to check out.

Personally, I'd check out JL's XR and ZR components... I've always been a fan of the huge bang-for-the-buck XR's (and a longtime fan of German Engineer Kurt Mueller), but the other components you mention put you right in JL ZR territory (Manville Smith of JL gave me a 20 minute demo of their amazing Mini, last year, featuring a ZR front stage).

I'd also check out Focal's offerings. Their polyglass line is wonderful, and has amazing midbass and output capabilities.
    And the K2Power set is even more fantastic - and again, you are in that budget territory with the CDT Euros.
    The K2Power set out-SQ'd Focal's old Flagship Utopias... at least until the new $4K Utopia Be's were released this year.

I'd check out DLS as well. Their Ultimate and Iridium components are nice too.

There are more, of course, such as the ones you've mentioned.
    (I'm trying to also mention brands I know are distributed in Canada ;))

With Focal comes Audison, naturally... check out their VRx and LRx line for amplification duties.

I'd also check out DLS.. their reference line looks really good, and they do have an Ultimate line that really isn't too much more expensive.

And JL's amps have also been award winning.. and competition winning, in SQ... including IASCA world finals this year. ;)

4. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

for your subs it's worth taking a look at the Adire Brahma's, like the JL w7's they go for SQ and a good volume level as well. you can check them out at www.adireaudio.com