new car

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MJE, Feb 26, 2003.

1. MJE

MJE Full Member

and IM KEEPING MY W7S...SO DONT ASK FOR A SALE :)

anyways i bought a 2003 maxima with every possible option...has the bose system which i am extremely let down from...i cant help it im used to gobs of power to highs...not 40 a channel.

again im trying to figure out how big the speaker cutouts are factory...and exactly what you guys would do...kodas all around?

front and rear doors, along with kick panels..prob an extra set of tweets cause i dont liekt he factory locations.

and i think theres either a 6.5 or an 8 inch sub in the rear deck.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I like the Kodas, but I may be a bit biased :lol: .

Seriously though, everyone who has heard them have been impressed. I really think you will be hard pressed to find a better set for the $$$. And, if you buy all them from my store, I may give you the shipping for free ;)

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

The only set i'd consider along with the Kodas for the price is the CDT HD 62's... These have gotten rave reviews, and can be found as cheap as $230 for the 6.5" set.

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The Kodas are without a doubt higher end..
    Still haven't heard a set, but I got to handle one in MI...
    Beefy little 6.5, built like a subwoofer.
    We DUMAX'ed it, you know! :D
    http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/DLC
    There's a pic of it up on the machine! :cool:

That little mid even DUMAX'ed well.. :p
    I wish I could have heard them, they do look nice. Tweeter connections are a bit odd, and I also was surprised to see that it uses a Ferrite magnet, most car audio tweeters are Neodymium these days, while most home audio tweets are Ferrite-based.

Anyways...
    I am also very impressed with my JL XR's, I love them very much, one of the best tweeters that I have ever heard.
    Next to that, my $8 Peerless 4-ohm midrange (Parts Express sale) / $15 SoundStream Exact 4.5 Xover (Parts Express buyout) / $15 Peerless 4-ohm tweeters (Madisound) are my second favorite set, and absolute first favorite for value... total cost of under $80... ;)

Best value that I have heard, for a production set though, is the Cadence UltraShock's that I installed in a 2002 T/A...
    They sounded decent.. not SQ competition worthy, but very good.. and they got unbelievably rockin' loud on 100x2. Way louder than my JL's can get. And less than half the price, a really good value.. JL's still take them on detail and finesse, of course.. and I wish I could comment on the Kodas SQ.

5. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

This peerless tweeter you speak of...is it the ring tweet that looks just like the Koda tweet?

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

7. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I'm really specifically interested in that ring tweet because of the size of it. I'd have to do some serious modification to make any of the tweets with the larger flange fit. Not having any room for kickpanels doesn't really help me solve that problem...

8. MJE

MJE Full Member

ok so lets say you guys had 1500 bucks to spend on highs...

just for speakers im talking...

what and why would you get it..

note again (i prefer a van halen eruption guitar riff to be rather bright)

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Kodas...

True balance and accuracy, and massive midbass being the reasons. I know I read on CAF you were going with 3 sets. 3 sets of almost any tweet will provide the "bright" effect you are looking for. In a more on axis install, the tweeters of the set are rather bright, hence the angle and low set location of my set (I enclosed a couple pics below for you on their mounting and angle). Also, the powerful midbass will compliment the tweeters, especially since the majority of your music (from one of our prior PMs, if you recall) tends to sit in the low midbass range. These are a great fit for us 80s rock guys ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The flat responce in and of itself is impressive enough, but when you factor in the massive midbass, you can see why it becomes awe inspireing.

10. MJE

MJE Full Member

hey seth do you have any closeups of the tweets...cause i planned on taking the tweet from the rear opening and putting it up in the front on this lil thingo n the door...

do they come with angle mounts and whatnot?

and whats this mysterious grill problem that you said...non existent ??

ill most likely contact you over pm...but whatever you happen to stumble upon first is good enough for me.

thanks

-Mike

11. MJE

MJE Full Member

one other thing tho...i have 1 problem...where am i going to put that 3rd set of 6.5s??

i was going to have kicks fabbed for the car...but i figured on 4's since i have the 6 speed and the clutch pedal wont make it too easy id think around bulky 6.5s like these.

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I hit you on the PM man...