New Build: 5.1 in ma Civic

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by 92civicproblems, Mar 14, 2011.

1. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

I have a 5th gen civic. 95. Gray. Not very fast. I don't care. It has cruise control so I'm good to go.

Anyways...

I'm working on a new build. Final product is going to be a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound system in my car! I searched for posts about this on here and found nothing. I may be the first one to post a build like this... sweet.

Step 1: The HU
    Product: http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/vir-4100n.aspx
    Notes: Total Price $200

[​IMG]

Step 3: The Sub/s
    Products: Unkown (12" subwoofer)
    Status: Looking for a good 12" subwoofer to use in my IB setup
    Notes: I want to pick up lows. Scratch that. I want to hit HARD on the lows. I want a good all around sub but I want it to really be able to pick up the low frequencies. My trunk is small so I have limited options.
    UPDATE01: I'm going with an Infinite Baffle system. My trunk is 12cu. ft. and will be sealed. I don't know what sub/s I will be using. Probably going to be a long process to find the right one. I can fit maybe two 10"s, 1 for sure, 1 12" for, not two. Looking to see if I can't shove a 15" in there but I doubt it. Probably just a 12" or even a 10" if it gets the job done. But if going bigger gets me better results I'm definitely going as big as I can get.
    UPDATE02: I figured out I'm doing 1 12" subwoofer. Just have to find a good one for my IB setup

Step 4: Dynamat and sealing

Step 2: The Speakers
    Products: Unknown
    Notes: I want a really FULL, rich sound. Like really good. And loud. So I want amps on all these speakers.

I really need some help with this one. Thanks. Btw I'm going to be filming the progress of this whole build.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

should be nice. im tuned in. what size sub? Atomic makes some good subs, check the sig \/ \/. in 4.3 cubes tuned to 28 hz

3. 92civicproblems

Cool thanks for tuning in. That sounds like something I might want. I think I only want one sub. But Idk if I can fit that in my tiny civic trunk you know? 4.3 cubes is a big one. I do want it tuned low tho... hmm...

4. 92civicproblems

Anyone have any recommendations for some good speakers? Maybe 6.5s... with amps.

Thanks.

5. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

dont have much say so on mids/highs. phenix gold, infinity capa/reference, image dynamics, focal, i think orin.

amps? kicker, rockford fosgate, us amps, alpine, sundown and many more. thes are just mainly what i hear people "ooo and aww" over.

6. 92civicproblems

Ya I hear that same stuff to. I think I will go for inifinity this time. I might mount a center speaker under the head unit in the center console there and mount the left and right speakers in the car, not the door, just back in there somewhere. The only thing I need to know is this:

Do these speakers need enclosures? Do enclosures add more of a punch to the bass? Or are there speakers designed to be good without much of an enclosure?

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

your not the first to do a 5.1 install. but i am looking forward to how this turns out.

as far as your question" do they need enclosures" where ever they are mounted needs to be solid. doors are good choices if you want good midbass. so a 6.5 in each door well deadened is a good start. if your looking for an accurate center channel it will need to be able to play low to pick up good mid range vocals. not sure what you can fit under the dash.

as for the rears. they don't need to be huge. 4 inch plate can work since it doesn't have to play as loud as the front stage.

if your trunk is small then either get a small sub or free air like you asked in another thread. 2 8's in the right enclosure can get loud. or 2 10's or just 1 12.

i have 1 12 in a 2.3 cf box tuned to 30HZ, it plays low. it also helps that i have a beefy sub and a hatchback.

what kind of money are you playing with? for now if money is tight.. focus on the front stage for a 3.1 type of set up. 50 to 75 watts per mid tweet pair should be just fine. so look for a 4 ch for up front and a mono for the sub. then later you can find a small 2ch for the rears. or find a 5ch amp and a 2ch amp for the center.

either way you need at least 6 ch's of amplification.

8. 92civicproblems

Thanks for the help pedro. I think I might end up doing the subs first. 10"s will fit (Either 1 or two) and 12"s are pushing it... a lot... As far as the center speaker under the head unit I will have to look and see what I can do. Looks like I will have to do some custom fabrication and what not there. Never done that before so that's why I'm sticking with the subs because I've done a lot with that. I have the factory speakers in there now which will be okay for now. After I get the subs hitting low and loud then I will worry about the 3.1 and then finally the 5.1... maybe. Again thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  9. 92civicproblems

What did you mean by 4 inch plate? And money is not that tight so I want to do this thing right.

10. 92civicproblems

Okay, I figured out that I am doing 1 12" subwoofer. That is what fits so that's what I have to work with. I'm also going to put a piece of mdf (or something) to seal and stabalize the rear dash there. I just need to figure out which 12" subwoofer to get. Still looking. Thanks for all the help guys you rock!