New audio install Please Help

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Devil, May 17, 2010.

1. Devil

Devil New Member

Hello, I got my audio installed by sextons as i wanted a proper job done.

yet had so many probs with them using mdf which was hot glued that keeps falling apart...

Anyways the main problem was the amp kept blowing a 60 amp fuse.

I had a Inphase 1600w new series amp which was bridged so the sub was using both voice coils.

They said its because the amp needs to be a mono to run that that why it was blowing the fuse.

so they wired the sub on 1 voice coil by using 1 of the outputs

e.g Left positive / negative

it sounded quiter yet still sounded crap for quality as soon as u waked it up the thing was distorting.

So i took it to bits and found how they wired it and tried wiring it

by bridging it onto one voice coil.. then noticed a tapping noise from the sub even at low bass..

i cant figure out wat has gone on i put everything back together how they left it.. Hmm

Please can someone help me out lol

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

wait huh? how is the sub wired to the amp? only one coil is being used?

not wired properly if you ask me. maybe the sub was wired to too low of an ohm load.

what are the specs of the sub and amp being used on it?

ive never heard of your brands of equipment, but since your from over seas im sure thats why.

3. eviling

eviling Full Member

that's no way to leave a job, and you don't wired a sub with 1 voice coil, thats the problem with car audio shops they just care about getting it out the door producing noise, they dont care how 90% of the time. we need more info though, idk any of those components, you need to say what ohm load each coil is, what the subs need to run at, how you hav them wired. and if thats a sealed box. it' looks rather large, sealed boxs genraly dont over 2 cubic feet for a single 12" sub. my sub is 30 lbs 12" sub and sitll only needs 1.50 CF

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Try this, set yout amp to stereo, then wire one coil to the left channel and the other coil to the right channel. Your amp will think its pushing 2 subs and should be seeing a load that it could handle. Just make sure you set the gain exactly the same for each channel. Please tell us that there is some kind of cover that goes over the amps to protect the wiring. Also what size power wire is in there, it looks very small but hard to tell in the photo.