New amp flashing protection mode?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by DJNocturnal, Oct 3, 2010.

1. DJNocturnal

DJNocturnal New Member

I just bought and installed a new Rockford Prime R1000-1D. The problem i'm getting is the scond I turn the amp on it powers up and goes right into protection mode for a few seconds and then back to power and it keeps doing that. I have disconnected the RCA's and the speaker wire to rule that out. I am running all 4 gauge wire. The amp does it with or without any volume. i'm running a 100 amp in-line fuse and a good connection to the battery.
    I've been told I may have a faulty amp...any suggestions?

2. DJNocturnal

DJNocturnal New Member

I guess a better way of describibg it is the blue power light comes on and then fades out and goes into protection mode...it repeats this untill its turned off.

3. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

If you havent already double check ALL of your wiring. A bad power/ground connection can cause this problem. Check your speaker wiring also to make sure nothings wrong with that. If all of that is good its possible your new amp is defective and id exchange it for a new one.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  4. DJNocturnal

DJNocturnal New Member

I have no rca or speaker cables hooked up while testing it. i'm certain the power and ground is good. Could I have a bad remote wire? after reading through some other posts, I may have used the wrong one for my remote. The manual for my kvt-717 says a blalck/pink wire is for external amp control and that is what I used... probably needs to be the blue/white one?

5. ericj

ericj Full Member

You can check the remote wire by just running a jumper on the amp itself from the 12V+ to the remote turn on connection. If your amp turns on, your problem is most likely the remote wire.

6. speed2sound

speed2sound New Member

yea blue/white is remote turn on in "most" cases

7. DJNocturnal

DJNocturnal New Member

i'm assuming i've run the wrong wire for amp turn on. would that be why the power is fading out and going into protect mode? I can't mess with it untill tommorrow but i hope thats all it is.

8. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

With the amp fully connected and OFF, measure the voltage using a multimeter across the positive and negative terminals directly on the amp. You should get about 12-13 volts. Now have someone turn on the amp and read the voltage. If it drops a lot (more than 1/2 volt), you have a bad power or ground connection. This is usually where the amp is grounded (no deck lid or painted surfaces) or in the hot wire fuse holder or battery terminal.

Let me know what you find.

9. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

The blue/white wire is the remote on head units that have both a blue and a blue/white wire. The solid blue is used when there is no blue/white.

The difference is, a radio with only a blue wire sends 12 volts out that wire any time the head unit is powered on. When there is a blue/white wire, that wire does the same function, however, the blue wire on those radios has power only during radio play and switch off during CD play. The reason is to lower electric antennas since they aren't needed while playing CDs. This is usually the problem when someone's amp plays on radio but not during CD. They have used the blue wire for remote on a head unit that has a blue/white wire.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010