Need some input on this design

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sysengr1, Jun 17, 2006.

1. sysengr1

sysengr1 Full Member

New to this forum, I spend most of my time on dodgetalk.com, dicussing how to make my 310rwhp/400rwt dodge ram faster. this appears to be their car audio sister-site, hope it's as cool.

Anyhoo...

It's time to build my audio system and here is what I've come up with/purchased:

Alpine CDA-9857 HU w/ipod control
    Kicker ZX700.5 ampifier
    Boston Acoustics Z6 component set (6.5 mids/tweets)
    Kicker KQ5 para-eq
    2- Kicker TS10L7 subs

The ZX700.5 amplifier will be sending ~150 watts to the BA seps and ~5-600 watts to the Kicker subs. (the amp had an insert saying it tested to 999 watts).

Will this be enough power for this system (from what I've heard, the kicker subs will handle 1000watts no prob)? Any components I should change? Where should I mount the tweets (upper door panels or pillars)?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

System looks good so far.

That amp will do perfectly fine.

Next is the enclosure for the subs...what kind of bass are you looking for?

3. sysengr1

sysengr1 Full Member

Thanks for the input. I have a regular cab dodge ram so I'm REAL limited on enclosure type. Looking for CLEAN/TIGHT bass, not punchy like ported enclosures. I had a set of Kicker 10'' competition series subs some years ago in these same type truck boxes:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC06TS10L74

I'm going to start with one of these, and add another later. I sealed up the port on the ones I used to have and they were clean and tight. Sounded REALLY good, so I went looking for the updated design when I was spec'ing my system. I even attached them back to back in a V-type configuration and had them in the hatchback of a Honda CRX until someone noticed (heard :eek: ) them and decided they needed them more than me. Woke up one morning and they were gone, along with my Eclipse touch-screen HU and 3 amps. That really stung.

They should really pound, though I'm more looking for SQ than winning any SPL contests. I'm a little older now and not looking to crank it (who am I kidding?). Those boxes with the ports sealed up should go well with the Z6 seps and Kicker amp/eq. I was mainly wondering if I had enough amp power for the subs. My installer said they're pretty power hungry. What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

For sq that amp is fine to power that sub...if you want to shake the house than yeah go for a bigger amp but the 700.5 will do fine.