need help with reception trouble

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by tc_insd, Sep 27, 2009.

1. tc_insd

tc_insd New Member

hello all, I need help with my car audio. I hope this is the place to ask. I have a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis with the stock Ford radio. The radio works great until I turn on my headlights. As soon as the lights are on I lose all reception. It goes into search mode and cannot find any stations.
    Does anyone know what problem might be causing this?
    The antenna is in the back window. There are some boxes in the trunk that I think are the antenna seperator or something.
    Again, it seems fine until I turn on the lights. I was going to buy a new stereo but Im not sure that will help with this problem.
    Please anyone reply here or send me a message.
    Thanks,
    Tim

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Sounds like it's an antenna ground problem. I'd say re-ground your antenna then you should be fine. If you can take some pics that would be great so we could see what your dealing with near your antenna

3. tc_insd

tc_insd New Member

Hmm the isolator seems to be bolted to the rear shelf. I will pull it and reinstall. Would the defroster wire problem only affect reception when the headlights are on? I am pretty sure there is tint applied to the rear window but the wires appear fine on the glass. I will try to post some pics but this is what I have... in glass antenna goes to isolator / lead goes from isolator to large silver box bolted to back of rear seat firewall panel / lead from silver box goes to little tiny silver box which then leads under the rear seat to dash head unit. Would a bad antenna isolator cause lost reception only when headlights are on?
    I think some ground chasing is going to be needed. Perhaps the aftermarket alarm guys messed up some underdash wiring?