Need help finishing a system I've already committed too... Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Sound, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Sound

Sound Full Member

Hi, I have a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe EX stock, but I've already bought a Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB headunit (and a HD Radio tuner add on).

My goal is to get some nice sound quality with just enough power so that when I get a couple of sub woofers later on the rest of my system isn't under powered.

As far as my taste in music goes, I listen to a lot of stuff, but mostly rock to pop, with acoustic stuff mixed in there.

What I'm looking for is a set of 2-way components (6 1/2 in.) up front and some 6x9's for the rear. I have friends (and sometimes myself) in my back seat all the time, so rear fill is important to me.
    I'm also looking for a nice 4ch amp to power all of them.

My budget for the speakers and amps is about $700-$1000 (For new equipment, not used. It's a pet peeve).

I'm in dire straights, as I can't tell an Ohm from a Watt or a Volt or a "voice coil". Any recommendations?

2. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Is this budget for subs also? or just components and an amp?

3. Sound

Sound Full Member

This budget is just for the components and amp. I'll spend another grand or so on the subs and another amp later on.

4. Sound

Sound Full Member

I've gone out and bought a pair of Alpine SPX-17PRO components for the front and a pair of Alpine SPR-69C for the rear fill.

The 17Pro's are "Peak: 600 watts per set / 300 watts each side RMS: 200 watts per set / 100 watts each side"
    The SPR-69C's are "Peak: 600 watts per pair / 300 watts each RMS: 200 watts per pair / 100 watts each"
    Both are "4 ohms impedance"

So all I have left to get now is a decent 4ch amp, yes? What specs do I need to be looking for an a amp? Are all amps made equal or do they sound different? Any recommendations?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

i wouldnt say all amps are created equal at all. but i would suggest you searching around and seeing what you would like. look for a 4 channel amp thats putting out 100 rms or less, at 4-ohms. i dont think it would matter much if it put out less than 100 rms per channel. my elemental designs nine.4 puts out an underrated 65 watts rms per channel at 4 ohms and its pretty loud.

try searching sites like onlinecarstereo, sonicelectronix, etc

6. Sound

Sound Full Member

I've heard getting an amp with to little power can damage your speakers. Is that true?

7. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

not true. its a myth. what hurts speakers is clipping.

8. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

if you get an amp with little power and you crank up all of the gains on it and play it loudly than that'll cause a clipped signal which will damage your speakers

9. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

10. Sound

Sound Full Member

(first of a double post...don't know how to delete it)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  11. Sound

Sound Full Member

I've read a couple reviews for those amps. Some people swear by them, others think they're made cheep. I'll definitely keep looking at them though, but I'm wary of such a cheep price tag.

12. Sound

Sound Full Member

How do they compare to other higher priced amps, like Alpine PDX-4.150? (Which is Class D...?)

13. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member