Need help finding an amp

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by gindwar, Dec 26, 2009.

1. gindwar

gindwar Full Member

Hi everyone, I'm looking for an amp that will power my 2 12" Kenwood KFC-W3012. They are(combined) 800 watts rms with 4 ohm single voice coils. I'm not experienced with car audio at all and I need some suggestions for an amp, or at least the kind of amp I will need... mono, 2-channel, etc. and how many watts I will need to power these subs(the amp max output and the amp's rms confuses me a little). Thank you very much.

2. tepa13kreeper

tepa13kreeper Full Member

how much do you want to spend?

3. gindwar

gindwar Full Member

I'm looking to spend around $100 or so...

4. tepa13kreeper

5. gindwar

gindwar Full Member

That does help, but if my subs are already in a box will I just wire one terminal to the other and then wire that terminal to the amp?

6. tepa13kreeper

usually mono amps have 4 terminals like a 2 ch amp so you could use both terminals in your box it all depends in the amp

7. gindwar

gindwar Full Member

Okay so if it does have the 4 terminals then do I still have to wire them the way you said? They are already enclosed in a box, that's why I'm asking.

8. tepa13kreeper

no just like you got it now +to+ -to- from sub to box terminal
    and the same way from box terminal to amp

9. gindwar

gindwar Full Member

Alright, thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it.

10. tepa13kreeper

no problem , what amp are you looking at for your subs?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  11. gindwar

gindwar Full Member

I'm looking at the HIFONICS BRUTUS BXI SERIES BXI1206D...

It pushes 900 watts rms @ 2 ohms, which is a little overpowered but not by much... it's not a big brand name but I really don't care. I'm not gonna compete or anything like that. As long as it sounds good compared to my standards(which arent too high) then it doesn't really matter. Why pay $700 for an amp with the same rms just because it says Rockford Fosgate?

Let me know what you think. Also, just to make sure... for my 2 4 ohm SVC subs, I just wire them from each terminal(on the box) to the terminals on the amp? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, I just don't know a whole lot about this stuff... and I'm planning on installing it all myself(Best Buy already screwed me for my deck installation).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  12. gindwar

gindwar Full Member

sorry for the double post... computer is being really stupid

13. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

yup and fyi more people compete with Hifonics than Rockford i think haha. Rockford is just rich kid stuff haha. IMO i would buy a Hifonics over Rockford anyday due to the price. Hifonics is a great amp but make sure u keep ure voltage up with a decent electrical.

14. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hifonics is a name brand. they have been around for well over 20+ years. just an fyi. altho they arent like their products from back in the day.

be sure to keep it cool tho. i had a zeus wired to 4 ohm mono on my 8's and it got hot real quick. but its an A/B class amp. my sub amp is a D class and doesnt get as hot.