Need Help Building From The Ground Up

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by CarAudioNub, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub Full Member

To put this simply, I know absolutely nothing about car audio. My '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo's stock speakers have been blown for two weeks now and are giving me a headache. Recently I got in the car with a bud who had 2 JLs 12" and easily convinced me to get something loud.

Still in high school so it's obvious I am not made of money. However, I have a part time job and would like to start piecing a sound system together. Don't want absolute ****, but nothing expensive either.

I have been looking for several days at where to start looking and I just keep walking in circles of all the different brands and reviews. Getting tired of looking so I was wondering if anybody on here would show me where to start.

So, looking for new 6 1/2 inch front door speakers, possibly rear speakers as well (have heard they aren't necessarily needed, still would like :p) for a reasonable price. Also a new headunit that will just do the job for 2 subs and the car door speakers. From what I have heard as well, I know tweeters tend to come in many door speakers nowadays so those aren't needed. Clueless about amp hookups. As for the subs, nothing more tahn 12s should be needed for now.

So short summary of this novel:
    2 - 6 1/2 front (rear maybe?) door speakers
    1 - new headunit
    2 - 12s (or 10s) subs
    1 - amp

Like I said, I don't need anything nice or expensive yet, just something that will be loud and avoid giving me a headache. Thanks alot in advance!

2. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Ur gonna get a bunch of different responses based on personal preference. Here's my 2 cents and why. Great to build a bit at a time. Took me a year but I was in no hurry.

Wires- get a decent 4 gauge kit. You could probably get by with 8 gauge but if u start off with 4 gauge chances r u wont have to upgrade. I started with 8 gauge and had to swap out for 4 gauge. Walmart on line has the Bravo view aik1000 for 19.99 with free in store pickup. Its a true 4 gauge. And very flexible. At Frys the same kit goes for 59.99. Next get ur head unit. I went budget hu but with the features i needed. Look at the Sony Explod GTX350. It has 2 sets of preouts which allows for amp expansion. It has eq settings. It has a front aux in for mp3/ipod. A remote. And 17 watts rms x 4. I got it at Frys in sale for 59.99. Next do the door speakers. I went to 3 differnt Best Buys every week for months. I was able to get front and rear Fosgate punch's (my front and rear r 6x9s). I got each set for $40. I picked up 2 10 in Alpine type Rs with boxes for $160. I am now using 2 Crunch amps. PZT1100.1 for subs ($49 from Frys) and PZA700.2 ($59 from Frys) and I couldnt be happier. Loud. Yes. Bass. Can hear it 2 cars away. Now someday I want to b felt 2 cars away. But I have more time than money. LOL. Good luck man.

3. monster71

monster71 Full Member

I forgot to mention everything was on clearance.

Just a suggestion. U should bag ur front speakers. Ask the viking to explain. :)

4. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

i can help u set up a nice system if ur really interested that is loud and sounds clear... head unit is important.. dont buy a 59.99 piece of junk... all ur sound is based on head unit... also... dont buy a cheapo amp cuz most of ur sub sound is based on amp and box.. if u do what monster did and just pick up the cheapest stuff u can find u will hate it.. it will sound nothing like ur friends did... not saying u have to spend all that money on jl's cuz thats a waste of money in my opinoin... my name is mike btw and u can text me and ill help u... 712-346-7221

5. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Sorry to disagree. Cheap doesnt mean junk. Cheap is cheap (pyramid, boss, etc). I have had comp vehicles using Orion HCCA reds and Pioneer IMPP subs with Clarion hu hitting 140 on the db meter. I was looking to put together decent and not spend the thousands $$$$ i did on previous cars. I agree that u can put together better than what I have fir sure. I am used to lots of bass and I am very happy with what I have now. For now.

Plus its in ur best interest to knock things since u sell things. Sorry to say but typical salesman. And note this is the first time i have had to defend anything i have put in this forum since i joined. I dont know it all. Only try to share my experiences.

6. CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub Full Member

Thanks Monster. I probably will look into the headunit and pick things as I go that are on sale. But I will update this thread with new questions asking if anything is good.

I saw these boss speakers for 17$ a pair, but something is telling me they are straight up **** lol. So will look for something on sale that's worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Systems...FABY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313837512&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...04SO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313837512&sr=8-3

6.5-inch three-way speaker with 80 watts maximum power handling (40 watts RMS)
    Mica-injected polypropylene cone with foam surround
    1/2-inch mylar balanced dome tweeter and piezo super tweeter
    Built-in tweeter high-pass filter
    48Hz - 22kHz frequency response with 89dB sensitivity

Like these? I have read up that you should figure power through rms and not maximum power. If that's the case, then is 40 watts enough?

Also: http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Kfc-1...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313837850&sr=1-10

Seem better than the rockfords...?

Also, for subs. I was thinking maybe of hitting up craigslist and taking my pal who has subs with me and checking out some people who are selling their's. As there are new sales of subs any day. Would this be a bad idea even if we tested the subs out first?

7. monster71

monster71 Full Member

We can just leave it as u have ur opinion and I have mine about what works for each person. Sorry @ nub for thread jack.

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

shriver187, I just deleted your last post.

Remarks like that don't belong here. I've been to many other car audio sites where behavior like that is tolerated. NOT HERE

CarAudioNub, I like the Kenwoods and I've install a pair a while back. They did sound pretty good

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Nub im sure u r finding out that car audio is a science. Seriously. Watts and ohms and ports, etc. Can b very confusing. And what u hear in one car will never sound the same in another. I know money is tight. But trial and error is part of the process. Who knows how much equipment I have gone through. Thats one thing about car audio. Ask most enthusiasts and u will c that its rare the guy who still has the exact same set up from 5 yrs ago. We always went bigger and better with the newest functionality out there. And yes rms power. Max power really doesnt mean much.