Need help building a system for motorcycle

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by flarud, Nov 10, 2010.

1. flarud

flarud Member

Hey guys,, been checking out your forum for a few hours,, lots of good stuff and helpful people here. I hoping that someone can help me with my situation as well.

I want to install some speakers and an amp on my motorcycle that I can hook up a mp3 player to, not too concerned with a radio. I have looked at all of the systems specifically made or bikes but they all have the speakers mounting to the handle bars and I don't care for that look. I don't have a fairing to mount too, I run with just a windshield. I will post pics. I have been looking at some speakers, but don't know much about them. I need something around 3", weatherproof, and sounds decent. From what I remember that last time I played with speakers, back in the '80's, something that small didn't have a full range sound to them. I'm hoping in this modern age, there is such a speaker. I'm gonna also need an amp. The smaller the better. I found some in the motorcycle market that are very small, I'll post links, and they say that they are 300 watts, but I can't believe that they push that much power.

My plan is to make a small box to mount to the inside of my windshield onto a piece of metal 1" wide by 14" long that goes across my windshield. It also has a slight inward curve to it. I will have the speakers on either end with an opening on the top for the amp and mp3 player with some sort of hinged lid for access. If I can't find an amp small enought to fit there, I can put it in my saddlebags as my second option. I'm thinking the box will be approx. 14" long, height and width will be determined by the speakers. How much room behind the speakers do I need? Can the back of the speakers touch the back of the box? I will also need some quick disconnects for the wiring because my windshield can be taken off with a quick release. Sometimes I ride without it.

Here is a pic of the windshield
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to the system made for motorcycles.
    http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/...otorcycle-audio-system-W--new-3-speakers.html

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Barry

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

first and foremost...dont expect any low end frequencies....it simply cant happen in a open air enviorment doing 80mph with a few 3 inch speakers.

with that said, lets concentrate on the midbass range on up.....

An alternator on a bike is small, not much headroom for any extra power to be delivered to a high wattage amp. with that said, I would suggest looking for full range speakers that are as efficient as possible. (ie...93dB at 1 watt is better than 87db at one watt) the higher the number the better!

Enclosure design will not be too critical. the speakers you will be using will not care too much of what they are put in ...they are designed to be in an open air box for all intents and purposes..so they will be very forgiving..

that is just a start...

3. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

5. Collapsednut

Collapsednut Member

Mounting speakers will be the hardest thing to do and keep a sleek looking bike. You dont have all the cowels and fairings like a huge goldwing, so placement will be hard and youll kinda just have to go with it. Why not do like me and ride with headphones haha. Itll be a custom job so just take your time and have fun.

6. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

Get a helmet with earphones and an ipod