Need help building a new system

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by BuffaloBC, Aug 28, 2009.

1. BuffaloBC

BuffaloBC New Member

Hi all, well im obviously new to the site and need some help trying to put together a system, ok need a LOT of help/insight. I used to have a 12' mtx sub with a 1000w peak power acoustik amp in my old cavalier a few years ago, well now i have a 2005 chevy blazer and wanna go bigger. I listen to rap almost exclusively so im definitely about the SPL over SQ. I was thinking one 15 or more likely 2 12's. My budget is $2000~. Was thinking about buying a box/subs/amp used then replacing the factory deck, 4x6's, 6's and 6x9's brand new but am definitely open to changing that idea, just wanna stay close to that budget. Im open to anyone and everyones opinion as i dont know a whole lot about the specifics. Like if i get 2 12's will i need another battery? a capacitor? Details like that, also im borderline retarded when it comes to handywork so i wont be installing this myself.

Again, i have no problem buying new as long as i stay in the budget. Also i would prefer an alpine head unit, i really like this one, let me know if you think it will work with the setup im trying to go for.
    http://www.crutchfield.ca/Alpine_IDA_X305_Receiver_with_iPod_Protocol_p/500idax305.htm

For my components i was wondering if i should go cheap and buy somethign like pioneer, or if it would be worth it to buy alpine type s's or something along that line. For what its worth im within driving distance of bestbuy and future shop. Ok ive typed far too much, really look forward to hearing some responses, either to tell me im an idiot or to help, whichever you choose :) Feel free to ask me any questions or details i may have left out, thanks in advance.
    -blair

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i drive a 96 jimmy. should be very very similar. im not sure you'll like the results of a prefab box. if you like rap/hiphop you'll want the bass to get LOW. so have one built to the sub/s you choose. you wont regret that.

i have 1 15 in my truck(custom built) tuned nice and low (28HZ) so i have wicked low lows. with only 500~600 watts. 2 12's will have more cone area but will eat up most of the hatch. if you dont mind go for the 12's.

as far as the head goes...ebay or other online stores have it much cheaper im sure. same with the speakers. i found my infinity 4x6 plate's for $45 online. at the time circuit city had em for 99 or 105. so.....

good luck.

3. pedro quiroga

the type R's in the box sound like a deal.

4. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

hmmm. $2000 is a decent budget, you can get some real nice stuff to fit in there. as far as the alpine HU, i like their digital media receivers, but you can get the 9886 or even the 9887 for that price. they both can prob do everything the the media receiver can do, plus play CDs. they also have that nice bio-lite display :)

as far as the stuff you posted, i would go with the type Rs. they sound good and beat pretty hard. but maybe someone else can chime in on something else you can get. for $300 tho, i think i would want to go with a L7 15, cvx 15, T1 15", DC Lvl 4 15", Fi Bl15"...what im saying is there's a lot of different choices you can go with lol

5. BuffaloBC

BuffaloBC New Member

thanks for the suggestions, as for prices im in canada so its gonna be a little different with the exchange being ****ty right now and all. Yeah i emailed the guy about the type r's in the box, hope they are still available. I dont mind taking up all the storage space in the back at all.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  6. pedro quiroga

you could look @ elemental designs. they have a 13 that is a beast! they can even sell you a box just for it. they make a good solid product and i think they have an outlet in canada. not sure tho.

7. BuffaloBC

BuffaloBC New Member

Thanks, ill look into it, so many different things to look at and consider when im starting from scratch replacing EVERYTHING :p These just popped up on my local craigslist, sound like a good deal, what do you think?
    http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/ele/1347324629.html

Thanks, have a good one.

8. pedro quiroga

65 is a good price too.

9. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT