Need Advice: I might need one more component

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by michaelkingdom, May 29, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,

I recently installed a system as follows into my Toyota Camry with Nav 2011.

Toyota Nav Sysytem (came with car)
    JBL MS-8 sound processor:D
    Infinity Kappa Five Amp
    Infinity Perfect 6.1
    Phoenix Gold 12" Sub

I am very happy with the system except for one problem. The Toyota Nav unit was originally hooked up to the factory installed JBL amp that came with the system. The head unit sends the signal to the amp and all the volume/fader/eq controls are done on the amp. So, by changing out the amp, my volume knob on the head unit doesn't function anymore.:mad:

The MS-8 does come with complete system controls (volume/fader/etc.) but you have to use the remote. I am fine using the remote for everything but I would like a volume knob.

I have a few possible solutions but I don't know if they can be implemented:

1: Install a second simple head unit -> run Toyota HU into second HU -> connect the second HU to the MS-8 -> use the second HU as the volume control (and possible fader/balance)

2: Find a good quality remote like Logitech and train it to control the MS-8. This would be a step up as the MS-8 remote is the "credit card" type so it is pretty thin and weak.

3: Hook up an remote volume knob to the system like this one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-o5TXLvNmfc8/p_136CLRLC/JL-Audio-CL-RLC.html?tab=detailed_info

Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Wow you spent all that $$$$ on that thing and it doesnt have a remote volume control other than the remote?! You should have went with the Audiocontrol DQL-8, it has a master volume, fader and sub control that you can control, plus it has more eq memory settings and a 13 volt line driver,it also is about 500 dollars cheaper. i guess it does not matter now. for that amount of money you should take it back to the shop and let them figure it out, they owe you that much.

3. Ms 8

There is a firewire port on the MS 8 so I think they will be releasing and analog control at some point. Anyhow, I placed a volume control between the HU and the MS 8 and it works perfectly so that issue is solved.

The nice thing about the MS 8 is all the tiny micro adjustments you can make via the remote. You can toggle Logic 7, processing mode, fade/bal, 31 band EQ. And it adjusts timing so that all your audio arrives at your ears at the time it should. Is that worth $800? Obviously that is up to the consumer. I can say that when I toggle the processing and Logic 7 off, the difference is astonishing. When on, all sound has a delicate balance. Turn it off and the sound image becomes two dimensional.

I like.

4. eviling

eviling Full Member

you don't sound like you fully understand what this unit is meant to do, get a 2 channel amp for your tweeters and run active, it'll cost ya another 200-300$ and some wires, but you'll have more control over your cross over, or you can let the unit do the cross over automatic (whats it meant to do) and it even does full 3 way active with a 4th output with full range for your rear coax'ls or a passive set of speakers, you'll be much happier with this sound. you should look into it, it'll imrpove the sound of those perfect 6.1's by 100 fold, those speakers aren't really all that good tbh, but with that amp they'll sound alright. i don't like them my self, i would of gone with jbl speakers, i'm all polk\jbl for subs and speakers my self, i currently have a set of perfect 6.1's but i'm replacing them with a 2nd set of jbl c608gti mkii's, they're exceptional speakers, you dont need to replace yours but I HIGHLY recommend you get a 2 channel amp for your kappa perfects. you'll need to run your tweeter wires all thew ay to your amp rack, whitch is a bummer, you probobly have the cross overs mount in the door pannels, most people do.

you'll be much happier with this set up. trust me.