My New Install...minus Amp Rack, Etc

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by nismo, Apr 5, 2004.

1. nismo

nismo Full Member

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Lookin good Nizzy. When did you get an S-10?

Anyways, that is a most impressive batch of engineering I have seen in a long time. I like.

How do those RE8s sound?

3. nismo

nismo Full Member

ive had my s10 since august when the minivan i was driving had the alt lock up, and i didnt wanna mess with the vehicle anymore (it had been wrecked and never fixed...etc), so i got my s10.

thanks for the compliment seth...that means a lot to me.

as for the sound of the re8's, they sound much better in 1 cube than 2.25...but the 2.25 is MUCH more fun. ive never heard 8's that can wang like the re8's. i told david the other day on IM that the re8's are the only 8's i know with wang to spare :D

maybe one day ill have a solid front stage and ill be able to tune them to sound really great...but unfortunately i have to have the xover at like 110 b/c the factory 6.5's are worthless.

eric

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I wanted to look at this again when I got home nizzy. I love this:

[​IMG]

Fellas, this little complex maze of wood is actually used as the panel where the seatbelt rides. It was cut and fit under the belt to allow full access and ease of use of the belt. The face of the unit was made to be removed to allow for up to a 15 inch woofer (in place of the dual 8s) if he choses.

Amazing detail. After looking at it a bit longer, I am even more impressed. Hats off Eric. Beautiful job.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Enclosure does look nice...
    What are you doing to the side facing the seats?

6. nismo

nismo Full Member

well, i ran out of carpet :D

i bought some more carpet, and will be finishing the box tuesday. i also need to do a few other things...bolt the port in (the first port plate was drilled out for use with the security hex bolts, but i fubar'd a couple corners and couldnt get it to take, so i used RTV for the time being on a new plate--ill have to do some scraping when i wanna use my spl port :D)...i also need to take the baffle off and use some weatherstripping to make sure im getting a good seal on it. the last thing i need to do is to paint the box where the ports come out of the port plate because there's about 3/16" where the bare wood is showing.

im hoping i can get all this stuff done to the box soon so i can finally bolt the sucker down...but for now its being held in my friction fit :)

here's what i managed to do tonight: Tonight, I upgraded the underhood wires on my truck...and started planning out how I'm going to do my cold air intake (homebrew).

The truck came stock with 4 gauge power and ground...but since I plan on using several thousand watts of power, I upgraded to some garden hose-sized cable. I used 2/0 welding wire, which conveniently fit very nicely inside the crimp 1/0 connectors from Parts Express with the 3/8" opening in them. The 2/0 welding wire was EASIER to bend than the factory 4 gauge...I couldn't believe it. Anyhow, I used the factory 4 gauge to go from the motor to the frame, but used the 2/0 from the battery negative to the alternator, and from the alternator to the frame. Here's hoping that it'll work much better than the factory crap for all the effort it took.

eric

7. nismo

nismo Full Member

updated my SD page as well :)

eric

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'm telling you, on a budget, those Cadence UltraShock 6.5" speakers are a great, great solution.

They sound really good... partly due to their having a true external Xover that you don't see in their price range.

They are an easy first speaker... drop-in ease - the separate tweeter is actually mounted coax-style.

They are tremendously efficient... one of the only speakers that I've been able to bring up loud enough where I cried "uncle" before the speakers reached their limits... on just 100w.

And most importantly.. they are cheap!
    Well, not Boss or Legacy cheap... but for $80, really, it is a great setup, I think.
    I'd run them myself, seriously. B)

Just something to ponder once you've paid off that carpeting. :lol:

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

The US line have changed Chris. I have not heard any of the new ones either, so I don't know anything about them.

I do have a set of the old units laying around... but I think I want to keep them just in case ;)

10. nismo

nismo Full Member

well, for that price, i can get a set of mb quart 5.25's (same woofer as the 'q' series), with the q tweet and a custom crossover :)

eric

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

The Cadence US series are (or I should say,were) easily better than tthe MBQs.

Here they yare in their origional packaging... Yes, the cones are chrome :blush:

[​IMG]

See that monsterous motor? Very beefy units.

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Someone on CAF bought the new version...
    And described them identically to what I remember. B)

No more wooden crate, but they actually look a lot cooler, cool basket and all that. ;)