My battery's going down the hole.Get a yellow top?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by djoye, Nov 18, 2002.

1. djoye

djoye Guest

70,000 miles on my car w/original battery and just recently I notice my lights are dimming even with the system off. Sears said everything was fine so I'm assuming my battery is coming to the end of its life. Where do I buy those Optima yellow tops?

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

have you had the battery tested?

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I dont really think its the miles that matters, its the years. Although you use the battery more with more miles.... :unsure:

Check the voltage drop. I wouldnt get a new battery untill the one you have goes dead.

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

My battery didn't last 35,000 miles before it died *shrugs*. I ended up getting an Optima red top and its been fine since. I'd have everything checked before i bought a new battery though. Oh, and don't get a yellow top, they aren't meant for starting engines.

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

really??????

Your battery In all reality should be used ONCE, for starting the car, after that no power at all should come from it,

the Alternator is suppose to supply ALL of the Electical Current Needed to operate to car during operation.......

Now Stero System Decrease the life of most batteries because they will draw out of the cars electical system more surrent then the alternator can put up therefore the car must draw from the battery reserve to compensate,

This act of Charging and Discharging is what "kills" the battery faster...

As for the "Yellow top" or "red Top" IMO it is all a BIG BIG scam...

I would not buy any of them, they are just overpriced and you paying for the Pretty Top...

Get a Good Batter from Interstate, Exide, AC Delco etc and you will be fine

6. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Good point mike. ;)

7. bmas1

bmas1 Full Member

I put in a gold series die hard and its worked fine. I agree with mike on this one. No need for the jacked price of a yellow top.