more batteries or more alts

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kryptonitewhite, Oct 17, 2010.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

I cant do both. I have one Iraggi HO alt rated 160-200A @ idle, 220A peak

should I add 1 more bigger alt to the AC bracket or add 2 more 100aH Oreilley AGMs, Intimidator knock offs

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

2 alternators will yield about 400 amps of continuous current to charge a battery or batteries. each battery will yield more availible current than both alternators combined. BUT not on a continuous basis. If you are looking for shorter term maximum blasts for SPL and the likes, I would go with more batteries. Will give you more availible current to the amplifiers when needed at those times. I say go with a few more batteries located as close to the amps as possible. Then down the road add on another alternator.

3. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

I'm looking for street beating rather than burp. Can either do 2 more batteries or 1 more alt.

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

I would tend to go with the batteries still, but it really all depends if you can keep an eye on your voltage. If its a continuous night of making your ears bleed, at lower SPLs then perhaps the alternator. If its a few songs now and then to show you can break the local sound ordinances, then batteries