looking to put in a sub, quick question...

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by johnpd, Jan 17, 2008.

1. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

alright so its been a long while since ive been on here, but a few months ago i put in an amp(alpine mrp-f550) and some alpine 6x9's, but now im unhappy with my 6x9s bass. they were never what i thought they would be, as far as how they would sound with the bass, but i know they are only 6x9's and they arent supposed to be "loud".

so i was wondering if i could put a sub in using the current amp i have, which is a four channel 90 watts rmps per channel. but i want to keep my front speakers "amped" using the first and second channel, and ill use the remaining channels to bridge a sub? and ill just have my rear speakers wired to my h.u.

i have read that my amp would be putting out 250 watts rms at 4 ohms with 2 channels bridged. so that sounds good enough to use a sub....i think.

let me know what you guys think? it would be great!

thanks

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

If you want tighter and louder bass from your 6x9s than you should invest in sound dampening material.

I have good bass and midbass from my 6x8s...why?? because of this
    [​IMG]

once I finish the doors the bass will be even better...also those are 60 dollar a pair of kenwoods...they sound fantastic now.

if you want to amp all of your speakers I would wire all four speakers in the car to the front channels of the amp.

Then bridge the rears to a sub

3. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

yeah i think about damping my rear deck sometimes, cause it rattels and buzzes sooo much. and it would help a lot.

maybe ill do both...damp my deck, wire all the speakers to the first two channels and bridge a sub in the last two channels.

but it is possible to do a sub with my situation?

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yes....entirely possible

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

You guys are lucky... They don't sell sound dampening like that here in the Philippines for a reasonable price. The do have insulation somewhat like that but it has that look but foam in between and its two sided so it doesn't stick on unless you glue it. Would that be ok?

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I used Peel and Seal from lowes...its window flashing. Asphalt based but it should last a few years...by that time my truck will be dead lol

once it gets warm I'm getting eDead

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

We dont' have lowes here nor do they have Peel and Seal here either. I haven't seen any Asphalt based here anywhere. I gotta look more into it though. Just that two sided stuff i told you about. i how much of the eDead would you need to do your explorer?

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well I want to do from the c pillar back and the doors again...I'm going to buy about 60 square feet.

Also I am going to use duct insulating foam to reduce road noise also

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

the duct insulating foam will also help the sound, correct?

10. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

the duct insulating foam will also help the sound, correct? do you just stick that stuff on as well?

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

oh yes it will!at work we didnt have enough room to mount our new press' air pumps in our pump room so our only option was to install them in a pump cabinet.roughly 4x12.it has insulating foam about 1-2 in thick and it works very well.they are installed right in between both presses.

you cant hear them things at all.well with both presses running it really dont matter anyways.lol

when i do my weekly maint on them i have to get in the cabinet.it's like a night and day diffrence.very quiet indeed

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

so with all these other CHEAPER ways to insulate a car, why do people buy all that expensive stuff like dynomat?

13. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

cuz they just dont know! lol, well its just the fact that it is 'meant' for car audio

14. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

You Have To Think About Moisture With The Foam Stuff. It Will Have To Go Some Were Water Can Never Get To It.

On The Other Hand Im Sure It Will Do Great On The Roof And Rear Side Panels Of A Car/suv.firewall Too

15. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

people want brand name sh!t like always

this is the DIY world...whatever works

16. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

exactly azn! i was just lookin at caraudio.com forum and o my god! they have limitless money. and i am sure they didnt install a thing, well maaybe a few but not many! they just have way to much money on that site, i dont really like it, its not my kind of world!