Looking for a High End SQ Install - E39 BMW 5 Series

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by CrysAk, Jul 26, 2010.

1. CrysAk

CrysAk New Member

Hi guys

picking up an E39 BMW soon
    the car was chosen as its v v quiet and also cheap to insure and good on petrol.

needless to say, audio must go in... car will be sound deadend even more than stock (so probbaly a bit over kill for this car as they are silent as they are!)

and im looking for a high end SQ install...
    i have no prefereance on size of subs nor ported or sealed boxes (however have always had good results with sealed...

audio is to be hidden, so no fancy neons/wiring/ or good looking amps needed...

what im after
    A Set of Components
    A set of 6x9s for Mid Bass
    Subs (1 or 2...) but going for SQ rather than SPL!!!!
    Head Unit with very very good EQ customisation (pref WITH a mic or stand alone EQ than can be hooked up to a Mic for auto EQ with included CD)
    Amps enough to power ... obviously :p

basically i want the levels to be Perfect
    ive always had installs where some bass notes were over powering compared to others that were suppose to be at the same volume (im guessing thats more down to placement) but having the ability to set the volume for each level is a must to avoid this!

basically i want full control over what each individual speaker plays for range and volume of levels.

budget is 4k GBP (about 6.5k USD)

placement ideas also welcome (i know the rear arm rest comes down and allows access to boot, so was planning on halving port and placing subs to aim/port through into the cabin

Thanks
    Chris

(rear seats in an E39 .. rear of arm rest hole can be removed and access to boot granted.. idealy arm rest will be left down and subs aimed into cabin... good idea or no?)
    [​IMG]

boot space available
    [​IMG]

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

What size of comps are you looking for? Also what brands are available to you or are you buying everything online?

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

tall order. do you prefer matching equipment? like do you care if you have two or three diff brand amps?

as for a head unit. i know pioneer just released their new stage 4 stuff. bad ass head unit.
    dual 31 band eq, insane crossover slopes for sub, midbass, mids and highs. it's 1400 US tho, but very nice.

i think a nice 3way set up up front will do better, and you wont need rear speakers. the midbass should come from up front anyways. you could always run the stock rears off of head unit power for rear fill if you want fill.

a true SQ vehicle normally doesn't use rear fill. not saying its wrong but some just don't. if you must go with a rear fill, a reg set of decent coaxial speakers should fill the bill.

the port thru the rear seat is a good idea. i've seen and heard ported, sealed, and IB set ups each sounding great in their own install. i want to say for a flat response go sealed or IB. deep bass extension is just insane and from the set up i heard can get punchy too on the kick drums, but you'll need a good midbass to back it up too.

you can deaden the **** out of your doors and run a mid bass in it and get some kick panels to mount your mids and highs. with the right color carpet it can look pretty stock.

also going for the stock look you can mount your subs in the rear deck if you do IB. you wouldn't even see them if done right. 2 tens should fit the bill, or even 2 8's. im sure your vehicle is pretty solidly built, so sealing the truck shouldn't be an issue.

you can save a lot of cash if you don't need to buy a ton of wood, and or rear fill speakers. that money can go torwards a good 2 way or 3 way front stage and 2 nice subs. a good 4ch should fit the bill too. 100 x 4 should be just right if your car is as quiet as a church anyways. less power needed to over come road noise.

ive heard good things about some parts express speakers.

a friend of mine runs dayton 7 in mids in his corolla doors and pioneer tweets. vert nice combo for very cheap. he did go the extra mile and have custom built passive xovers made for them.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-374
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2421&mybuyscid=12800730750
    i found these on accident and the specs and price seem very doable for a nice simple install. i bet 4 of those with 50~100 watts each would easily fill your cabin with enough bass to satisfy most musical tastes.

you can look into peerless, vifi too as good sounding mids and tweets. all these are more do it your self tho.

hope i helped a little bit.

4. CrysAk

CrysAk New Member

thanks for the response :)

3 way seems to be the way to go..

everyone keeps saying "dont worry about rears" but every car ive been in without them sound terrible no mid bass at all and sounds very flat if you know what i mean

they may of had just been bad installs but every car ive had rears in seems to sound a ton better

regarding make, im not too bothered about miss matching, i just want a high quality sound system with lots of flexibility to tailor to the setup ... last thing i want is to spend a few k and find out it doesnt work 100% because of the setup and i cant fine tune the levels