Kodas

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Sep 27, 2002.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I'm hoping Dan will come around and reply here, but for anyone else with any input, please feel free to add it. I am going to get the Kodas, there is no doubt about that. I was looking at getting some more power for them. I like the Z8000 personally for the task. I seem to recall mention of the set being 150 watt stable, correct? I can't seem to find any specs on Adire's site. I will also assume, through proper installation and careful gainsetting, the 175 clean watts will be fine for the set, correct?

Also, Does anyone have external dimensions of the driver? I need to build the enclosures for them, and it will be damn tight, I'm just hoping to get them built for the day my sweet babies arrive...

Last edited by sandt38 at Sep 27 2002, 11:08 PM

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Damn, that should be loud as hell. I keep the gains on my Q3000 down all the way and the Crystals still hurt my ears.

What are the reasons as to having that much power going to a component set? It just seems like over kill to me :huh:

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Just because I will be putting 150 watts to a set doesn't mean it will be louder than your's at 100 watts. Efficiency of the drivers also make a differance. A good example would be with subs, my neighbor has 2 Bostons, and 250 going to each. When I had my Shivas seeing almost 400 watts apiece, the Bostons were louder. Why? they were more efficient. Keep in mind also, these little drivers are pushing 7mm Xmax!!! I want to get them moving to full potential.

4. sundownz

sundownz Full Member

Whenever I can afford it I'll be ordering some Koda's as well. Can't wait B)

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I didnt think of efficiency, it does make sense now. Thanks for clearing that up :)

6. 98LowRanger

98LowRanger Full Member

DAMN! He only has 250 watts going to each!? It was loud as hell when I heard em on Friday. Hmmm....I've heard 2 setups using Boston subs and really liked how both sounded. Can't wait to hear the Kodas. Maybe ya can do a little glassin' to get them in your door panels cleanly.

Mark

7. trifle

trifle Full Member

it's also about the overhead, the easier it is to put out the given wattage, the more stable and clean the amp will be, it's "better" to put 150 watts out of a 300 watt amp, than 150 watts out of a 150 watt amp..so to speak

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

DAMN! He only has 250 watts going to each!? It was loud as hell when I heard em on Friday. Hmmm....I've heard 2 setups using Boston subs and really liked how both sounded. Can't wait to hear the Kodas. Maybe ya can do a little glassin' to get them in your door panels cleanly.

Mark[/b][/quote]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Similar to this, Mark. I will not make it as bulky, and I hate glassin' :devil:

I've seen similar pods to this one, and I felt they were more refined. I will do them more like the other sets, but this gives a general Idea.

9. 98LowRanger

98LowRanger Full Member

Ahhh I see. Should work well. What is the depth for the Kodas? You don't like glassin'!?! Glassing is fun!! hehe. So when we gonna bag and shave the ol GN? :D

Mark

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Uhhh... :rolleyes:

11. PointSource

PointSource Guest

more power = the better

more headroom = handle huge musical peaks

i always go double the power i need to drive my speakers...........

big amps + big speakers + big headroom = great transients

throw big efficiency in there = even better transients

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yes, just because you HAVE 175 watts available doesn't mean you are going to USE 175 watts, but it does exaggerate the amount of headroom that you have available, etc..

The biggest risk is to the tweeters...
    Too bad that the Koda set's Xover doesn't have any sort of tweeter protection, maybe one of those optical bleed-off circuits...
    (I can still picture driving at night with the system well well well past the limits cranking some adrenelin pumping music, and for a moment scaring myself thinking that I had a fire in my doors because I caught this throbbing glow seeping out through my power window controls out the corner of my eye, late at night... :D)

However, you CAN buy them from PartsExpress, might not be a big deal to incorporate that into your install!

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Can you link me? That sounds sweet!!!

You nmeed to incorporate that into the "Back to the Future" install theme...

Hey, this may be a bit late Geo, But I have an Earthquake hookup now. I know you were looking for some EQ gear. Lemme know if I can help...