kodas compared to focal?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MJE, Jan 10, 2003.

1. MJE

MJE Full Member

whatever i do, im going to buy 3 sets of focal or koda components...i have a big bonus coming from work cause i hit number 1 in our region...anyways i know seth has them...wondering how they'd compare to a set of focal utopia highs...they are like 350 a set right?

NOTE: i love tweets that are dominant.

-Mike-

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I have listened to Seth's set, but i've not heard the Focal's, only read numerous reviews. That said, the tweets in these two sets are entirely different. Focal tweets are extremely accurate, and harsh to some (depending on who you talk to). The Koda tweets are amazingly accurate, but very laid back when off axis. I have not heard them since Seth adjusted them to be a bit more on axis. From what he said, the tweet became a bit brighter, and even more detailed, but with no hint of harshness. I'm not sure which Focal set you're talking about, but if its the Utopias, they have one of the best mids ever made (supposedly, again, this is all from reviews :)). That said, i'm not sure how they could be much better than the Kodas. We ran these things with them crossed at 80hz (which is a little higher than I personally like but they were brand new) and they had some serious output. Dan Wiggins from Adire had suggested to one customer to take the high pass filter completely off and run them at full range. I have heard of people doing this with the Utopia mids, but none other. From the way they sounded at 80hz, i don't think they would have any problem producing frequencies as low as 50hz or so.

For the money, i think the Kodas are probably the way to go.

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Oh and the Kodas are 350 direct from Adire. The Focal Utopias can usually be found anywhere from 5-700 for the 2-way set, and the Polykevlar series can be found for under 300.

4. MJE

MJE Full Member

yea i was referring to utopia's...i actually said that in the first post...:) anyways they'd be running off an oldschool soundstream rubicon 1002...but like i said...i love tweets that really shine...i respect a amazingly detailed tweet that blends well too, but my preference would have to go towards a bright setup..

seth if you read this which i know you LIVE ON CAR AUDIO TALK. let me know how you made out with your kodas after you put them more on axis...

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

why the comparion with only the Top of the Line Focals to Adire

There are other compaones out their just as good

CDT, ID, ect

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

None of those sets belongs up there with the Kodas. I will say if you are looking for a bright tweeter, the Kodas are not for you. I have done some considerable reviewing:

http://caraudiotalk.com/forums//index.php?...t=ST&f=2&t=1715

(need to fix that http tag Mike)
    Off axis and deep in the floor the tweeters are too laid back. The off axis responce was not as terrific as it is touted to be. I suggest no greater than 30 degrees. The tweeter is so smooth in some tracks it sounds almost lazy, but something will pop up and it will amaze you with it's accuracy. On axis the tweeter has a really awkward output, not what i would look for in an on axis set, but i personally think metal domes belong off axis. If you like a bright tweet look into some QSDs. heck, and MBQ tweet with the Koda mid would really light up your life. I have my Kodas crossed down at 50Hz right now and they seem to be laughing at me. Crazy low. Midbass is unbeatable, and the tweeter is everything I look for in a set (but too big).

However, with 3 sets, you may be able to be satisfied with the tweets... Why 3 sets?

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

How did I know you were going to say nothing is better than adire, your a broken record :D

NOTE: I do not agree at all, Focal is considered the top SQ speaker for most SQ events, but then Again I will never ever own anything from adire so........ There are Too many BETTER alternatives to even the braham....... Plus you dont have to wait 8mos to get them'

and what is wrong with the http tag?

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

In all seriousness Mike, with all I have heard, this is the best all around set I have heard. I suggest you look at flawlesskids comments and BlkXs comments here:

http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread...&threadid=18869

also look here:

http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread...&threadid=18931

That is a thread where the Tenesee state SQ champion (yes, he got the title with the kodas in stock location) explains his feelings about the set.

That is Josh99TAs assesment in a nutshell to save you the time. Truely a remarkable set.

I got my Kodas shipped out the day after I ordered them. No wait on them, they are in stock at Adire.

On the red theme the http tag does not work ;)

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

You mean the Buttons at the top of the Post form???????

Your tring to get the wrong person on the adire Bandwagon

If they were the last car audio company, I would find a new hobby

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

LOL. I knew you two would get into it.

Seth, I wouldn't say that CDT, ID, Focal, and (god forbid) Rainbow don't belong in the same class as the Kodas. Out of those 4, i think you've only heard one set...and the install is less than adequate i'd say in comparison to yours. There's a couple more sets i'd like to hear, including the CDT's, before i give the Kodas the title of "best ever."

11. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

lol...not holding a grudge are we? :)

But in all seriousness, Im dying to hear how the utopias, and once I get those in im gonna be in the mood for some driving and im gonna try to find someone who has some nice 'high-end' sets so to speak and do a side by side comparison.

Hearing all these reviews on other speakers and how they compare to the focals is kind of making me nervous and in the back of my mind making me think i should have chosen something else. But I just keep telling myself thats one person opinion and install, so thats kinda why I want to compare.

But to the first Mike,
    Honestly I wouldnt buy 3 sets, I know Ive told you this before, but I think you'll be wasting your money doing this. Get the first set and put it in the kicks see what it does for you. Then if you really want the utopias in the back then do that, but honestly Id stay away from that I mean at most I'd just put a set of the Acess line coax. back there. And, once all of that is done I'd be very surprised if you werent happy with that. Just dont start out with 3 sets, I see no need for it. I mean you can always add a set later if its not doing it for you, but I think it setup properly you wont need more than one set (well two if you dead set on putting them in the back.)

12. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Hey, mike, I've never owned an Adire product, or even seen one, but Can I ask what's your beef with adire? Is it personal, or do you think they are actrually an inferior product, or what? I'm not trying to start someting, I'm just looking for oppinions to try to decide whether I might buy something from Adire later this summer or not.

13. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

I think its mostly personal, but I see he looking at the thread so ill let him answer that one.

But as far as Adire goes they do make some good products, and for the price they are hard to come close to. The only Adire product that I have personaly had hans on experience with is the Shivas, my brother in law has a pair of them in his S-10. They are nice drivers and for the price they are hard to beat, he absolutely loves them and has had no problems out of them. I would later one like to try a brahma and compare it to the 10w7s.

And the people who have heard the kodas seem to love them, but I would also like to compare some stuff to them to see how they sound.

14. dnewma04

dnewma04 Full Member

Michael,

What is your beef with Adire?