Kicker CompVR 12 Box-Ported or Sealed?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kennyg, Feb 27, 2003.

1. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

OK, I just got these tonight, and they are the 2002's, got them from AbsoluteNate69. I really wanna port them, space is unlimited, as you guys always say a properly ported box will yeild good SQ compared to optimum sealed box. I'm downloading WinISD as we speak, so hopefully, I can figure something out on there tonight.

2. Polecat

Polecat Full Member

2.0 sealed will offer the best in SQ, yet have great bump to them. I think you'll like them sealed. :)

3. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

I have only heard them in sealed. From what I heard they sounded prety good and were a good bit louder than the JL 15w3s that were in there before. The enclosure size was a little on the small side but overall it sounded pretty good. I say fool around with winISD for a little and see what kind of curve you can get with ported them. But you may want to take polecats advise on this one... :D

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Considering the man works with the subs all day every day...i'd take his advice.

5. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I have 2 10's in a 1.1 sealed and am very impressed with the sound. The only distortion I can hear is coming from my car itself.

Last Friday at my jobs parking lot I decided to see what these things would sound like if they were in a hatcback. :D
    SO........I pulled my rear sets down and brought the volume upto 18(w/o media expander) and I almost shat my pants! I swear to god all my windows were shaking loose inside their frame and I felt that they would break if I didnt turn it down. The rattling inside my car was attrocious(sp), the whole car was just falling apart.....lol
    I have 800W going to them btw........

Godamn Civics! :lol:

6. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

I would go with the 2.0 sealed....the SQ advantage over the ported box of approx. the same size would be a lot. rolloff can be pretty harsh 1/2 Octave below the tuning freq. :ph34r:

7. QtRKoR

QtRKoR Full Member

The manual says that the power handling is 400W RMS in 1cu.ft sealed box. What is the power handling in 2 cu.ft sealed box? Does it drop to 300W RMS?

Also what is the best ported box for the 12" CompVR.

cheers.