kick panels

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Moose, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Moose

Moose Full Member

Hey guys, just joined and wanted to throw some ideas around before I decide to create a system.

I'd like to try to build my own kick panels. where do I start and where do I find the supplies?

2. 1wykdmk8

1wykdmk8 Adminstigator

Here is a good place to get all of your supplies from.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  3. Moose

Moose Full Member

Thanks, that stuff isn't as expensive as I thought.

4. Moose

Moose Full Member

I was looking through the site and I'm not sure if I understand the Plexiglass Mirror? Why? It couldn't be used for a viewing window. :huh:

5. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

I use plexiglass mirrors to show off speakers, but when you use a mirror, you generally have to make windows, and it gets complicated from there and also gets more expensive

6. ramos

ramos Full Member

Better late than never right :D Fiberglast.com is cheaper on some of the stuff than select. :)

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Fiberglass is not hard to work. It is however time consuming. The key is to take your time and try to enjoy the process.

[​IMG]

You might want to know why the weird color, thats what the customer wanted and it had to match is box, it was to big to fit in the trunk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Ranger serious...make and thread about all of your installs...like post a new one each day.

Your work is fuking crazy. Mad props.

9. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Ranger, that is one the crappiest lookin installs I have ever seen!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Just kiddin man!!

Nice job! Reminds me of some of the stuff I used to do years ago before all this "new fibreglass" got more popular, LOL!!!!

There are many little tricks to the trade to get good results in the finished product, and I wont even begin to encompass them here! Would take PAGES and hours of typing!!!!!!!

Anyone who wants to do this type of thing needs to understand that it wont be perfect the first time you do it. It takes time and experience, and alot of patience......

BUT, one thing I want to emphasize is this, IF, you get into fibreglass big time and on a large long drawn out scale, PLEASE, wear a proper resperator and have plenty of ventilation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I speak from experience on this!! It is very important......the fumes CAN AND WILL nake you sick,especially over time!

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

You mean MAKE not NAKE you sick. lol

Some people are just better at installing than typing.:)

11. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK I'll start this weekend.
    But I think I'll start with some how to's, Hey Weird22, you can do this its not that hard.

I have only documented a few projects from start to finish, but I'll do some digging and organizing.

12. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

??? Wait, what did i miss? I dont think i need any crazy fiberglass. Maybe in a nicer car than i have now. No use spending all that time in a car i wont have 2 years from now.

13. ramos

ramos Full Member

Can always practice with your current vehicle. Kicks aren't too difficult to make. And if and when you do decide to sell the car. You can always pull the kicks out and sell them to someone with same kind of vehicle :)

14. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

another reason to make kick panels is becuase you can drink beer while you make them, just my 2 cents!:)

15. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Agreed, but its the MEK in the hardner that causes problems. That stuff is wicked. But surgical gloves is also really important. Have you ever tryed to get that stuff off your hands. For really large projects, I work outside. We have a very large open area in the back of our shop, where we can put 4 or 5 cars.

And weird22person, I was just picking on you for no reason other than you were the first person to come to mind. Its hell when you get old

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  16. ramos

ramos Full Member

That's right , curing time = beer time :)

17. ramos

ramos Full Member

Yes sir, mekp isn't your regular version of peroxide. It's some nasty stuff, that alone will have your eyes wtering almost instantly :)

18. weird22person

I guess its OK for you to pick on me, i wont cry. Thanks fo the thought. A quick question, how do you hold a sub box into place?:huh:

19. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

It really depends on the car and the box. If at all possible, I really like to bolt the box down from the inside and then put the speakers in. If thats not possible, Use an L-Bracket in a place where it cannot be seen. L-Brackets are ugly, hide them.

20. weird22person

Do i just drill into the sheet metalof the trunk? I think the seatback is plywood but im not sure. Would it be easier to bolt it to the back of the seat from the inside?

I was thinking about building a pair of sub boxes for both sides around the wheel wells, would a bunch of angels mess with the sound as long as clearance isnt an issue?