jstutman gave me an idea

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_Ancient, Nov 1, 2002.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I have been planning on buying a MP3 player for my car....

Most lilky the alpine

but jstutman posted about hooking up a laptop in he car.

well I have a all compaq 566mhz Intel Celron processor lap top

I have taken it apart, the screen is alittle bigger than I thought but with some custom fiberglass work and a cut here and there, I think I can fit it in (12.1in LCD screen)

Find me a copy of win98se so where,

and I will have the ultmite MP3 player (winamp)

what do you think?

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Sounds awesome! I got an old 486 DX2 laptop laying around, but it has no monitor. Only like a 300mb hd though. It wouldnt hold much :)

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Flawlesskid's roomate has just installed a PC in his car. it is a complete unit. I believe he glassed it into his center console (that was his plan and I gave him some glass mat). I suggest you hit him up.

4. jstutman

jstutman Full Member

if you can work with fiber glass i should hire you to build me one just like that. i cant work with fiberglass :( its going in a dodge avenger. (just like a misubishi eclipse) with an auto.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Wow. I just saw the pc in his car, and I have a new interest :eek: . There goes my money :lol: . What a killer, killer setup. GPS, Stored MP3s, Stored DVD movies, stored music videos, DVD player, 40GHz HD and more!!! I mean just awesome. I think I may have to invest in this. He said it cost him about $500 or so for the equipment. Hell, that is a good price for a nice HU, and it does more!!! Well, time to get my glassing skills polished. I'm gonna build me one ;)

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well I am putting only part of the Laptop in

I am mounting the Guts (CPU, etc) in a custom rack that will be behind the Screen

The screen will be mounted in the dash where my climate controls, and HU are now

the Climate controls will be moved to the map pocket,

the Map Pocket will be eliminated

The CD Rom and floppy(maybe) drive will be mounted below the Climate Controls

The the Touch Mouse will be Mounted next to the shifter,

I have not deceided weather to put in the Key Board or not

and I may add a touch screen overlay if they dont cost too much

7. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

and dont forget about the pics :D

8. jstutman

jstutman Full Member

maybe a wireless keyboard :) you have seen those ones that rool up right>? i think thye make them wireless now. just a thought.

9. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

You mean 40 GB right? :p

10. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well it would be alot easyer if I neew where to get a LCD controller for my screen

if I can get the controller, I will be able to ditch most of the "latop" componets and make me one from normal PC stuff, which will open my parts choices way up

I have been looking for one, but I have not come up with anything yet

I did find my screen, it cost $500 to buy :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited by Michael at Nov 1 2002, 04:29 PM

11. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

We need to get some pics of this carPC up somewhere Courtney. Tell me again when you and Stefon are coming up to the mtns. to show me this new equipment? :D

12. Krelkor

Krelkor Full Member

remember guys

if you are going to do dvd

get a soundblaster extigy
    mount it somewhere nice
    its got a remote and optical outs, very nice
    you will need a usb port

and itll give you 5.1 dolby surround in your car

mike, i had a BIG thread about this on here and over on CAF about 6 months ago

Last edited by Krelkor at Nov 3 2002, 09:32 AM