Jeep radio modification

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by edinc90, Jun 8, 2006.

1. edinc90

edinc90 New Member

As I said in the new members section, I am new to car audio but I know about electronics and I can solder, so I guess this won't be too hard ;) . I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler with the radio/single CD head unit, all stock. I have successfully removed the dash and radio and put it back in without breaking anything. What I want to do is add a line-in so I can play an iPod, PSP, etc. through the Jeep speakers. I would use one of those tape adapters if it weren't for the lack of a tape player in the Jeep.
    The first problem I have is that I can't find the color codes for the radio wiring harness. The most recent ones are for 1999, and not all the colors are listed. In fact there is only one plug instead of two like in the older Jeeps. (This is where I'm getting the color codes.) If anyone can help me with that it would be appreciated, but I can figure it out by testing, but it will take longer.
    The second problem is that the CD player in part of the head unit, so I can't get to the stock amp to run the input to. I'm guessing that an iPod won't be able to drive the 4 speakers by itself, so I'll need an amp. Am I correct in thinking this? If I do need one I would like a small one that isn't too expensive. It doesn't have to sound excellent because I only have the stock sound system anyway.
    I have a schematic for the wiring of the switch to go from radio to line in here. Any input or help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

2. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

What brand is the headunit? Some newer cars have good brand stereo systems. If the company that makes the head makes an interface cable it will make you life easier.

3. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

wow... good question. I don't think that there is a way to add an auxilliary "line in" on a stock chrysler head unit. It would be very easy to replace it with an aftermarket unit that is designed with these inputs (and they're getting less expensive everyday), or even to convert an aftermarket HU with aux inputs to accept the ipod signal, and in some cases (like older gm's where the cd unit and tape deck are separate entities, and you can piggyback onto the input from that), but I don't think that there is any provision on the stock chrysler HU circuitry to accept a foreign signal, that could be amplified by the head unit itself.

If I'm not mistaken, all the color codes are going to show you is: Power, Ground, Memory, Dimmer Inputs
    and Outputs for speakers and power antenna lead.

I'm sure someone here knows more than I do about this, so I'll quit typing now, but good luck

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  4. edinc90

edinc90 New Member

I will have to take apart the dash again to find out the maker of the head unit, but its just the stock one that Jeep uses.
    Hautewheeler, good ideas. I was hoping the HU and CD player were separate, but alas it can't be that simple. The color codes I found for the 1997-1999 Jeeps had the speaker wire colors like right rear +, left front -, etc. but not all the colors matched up to what was actually behind the radio. My thought was I would need to know these if I used a separate amp just for the line in, but if I do go the route of a new HU will I still need those? What HU should I get? As I said I am new to car audio so I don't know which companies are good or anything. Thanks for all your help.

5. edinc90

edinc90 New Member

Sorry to double post, but I just remembered this. When I took off the plastic strip behind the windshield there was a bunch of cables with a connector at the end not plugged into anything. I followed the cable behind the dash and it seemed to attach to the radio wires. Any ideas what this is?
    I also found this circuit and the guy says it can be used as an AUX input for Jeep Wrangler 2002-2005 HU's. That sounds like a better solution than replacing my entire HU. Found this too.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  6. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Jeep has factory iPod integration on the 07 wrangler. It was last redisigned in 03 so your stereo my aready work with an iPod. Check the owners manual. There should be an aux audio feed in the back somewhere for the ps2. Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer, and Kenwood all have headunits that integrate with iPods. You can control the iPod through the headunit.