Isolators

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Slump_Da_Hustla, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Slump_Da_Hustla

Slump_Da_Hustla Full Member

Can someone explain what an Isolator is? I know you need one if you run a second battery but what exactly do they do? Also are there different kinds? Where can you get one? How much do they cost? How do you install one?

2. trifle

trifle Full Member

ok, for 2 (or more) battery electrical systems...it separates one battery from the other...so, as one example, if you play ya system with the engine off, it'll only draw current from the battery you've isolated....so that your car will still start from the battery that wasn't being used....it basically isolates the other battery from having current drawn...allowing you to use just the one....

i think you can get them on www.darvex.com

Last edited by trifle at Sep 6 2002, 02:52 AM

3. isn't it like a diode ?

4. Slump_Da_Hustla

Why would you need that though?

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It also isolates the charge. This will prevent an overcharge situation in a battery if it does not need the additional charge. They are simple to install, and quite effective. Here's my isolator and second battery choice...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by sandt38 at Sep 5 2002, 09:50 PM

6. trifle

trifle Full Member

Why would you need that though?[/b][/quote]
    read what you quoted by me again, then if you have anymore questions i'd be more than willing to answer them....

sandt...good point B)

Last edited by trifle at Sep 6 2002, 02:53 AM

7. Slump_Da_Hustla

OK, that makes a little more sense. Does it really have a purpose if you're playing the system with the engine running? Sandt, when you say that it isolates the charge to the second battery does that mean that you have to charge the second battery with a battery charger, or would it still charge off the alternator?

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It does seperate the 2 batterys if the car is off and if it is running. This puts less strain on the battery for the car (controlling computer, AC, headlights, ect). It also selects which one, or both of the batteries needs a charge. Essencialy (though not quite) it acts as 2 alternators, 1 per battery. You should not need to charge the second battery with a charger. It also limits the total current output of the alt, allowing it to stay cooler and live longer. Hope this helps.

By the way, this is a basic description, so no banging on my explination. It is more complex, I am just simplifying it.