Is it worth installing parcel shelf speakers?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by lucas, Nov 6, 2010.

1. lucas

lucas New Member

I have just bought a new car. At the moment it has 2 front door and 2 rear door speakers connected to a 4 channel amp.

I have my twin subs and 2 channel amp from my last car that i plan to instal. But i also have a new set of 6x9s from my old car as well.

I thinking, considering i have these speakers, i might as well install them in the parcel shelf and connect them to the same channel that the rear door speakers or connected to.

Is this worth it? Iv thread some other threads saying that parcel shelf speakers are not the best and should be avoided.

But if i have the speakers i might as well install them right? Or wrong?

cheers

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

If the car has a location for them then I would do so....would sound better and have better low frequency response than rear door locations...whoops...you said you have subs....well, I would still do it! Just be sure to use x-overs on the 6x9s so as not to cause phasing issues with the subs...about 3oo-500 Hz at 6dB/oct would do nice.

3. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I think adding the extra speakers to the same channel will change your resistance to 2 ohms assuming that they are all 4 ohm speakers. Is your amp 2 ohm capable?

I would do it as well.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Many newer car use a 2-ohm speakers from the factory. Double check before hooking more speakers in parallel.