I need help designing my new system for my new car

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kennyg, May 13, 2003.

1. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Hey, everybody, I just bought an 88 lincoln towncar, and I need some hepl designing a system for it. I was thinkin about takin out the 6x9's, and just leaving them out, probably as close as I'm gonna get to porting through the rear deck. And, right under the 6x9's, looks to be a nice sized ledge, higher than teh rest of teh trunk, that I thin would make for a beautiful, out-of-the-way amp rack, and havee my sub dowqn in the lower part. I;m not getting the car until at least sunday, but, I'm trying to configure my system now. It has spaces for 6.5's in the front doors, but I don't know if I wanna put coax's in, or run my JL 5.25 inch components that I already own (if I'm gonna run components, it's gonna be something I already have, rather than buy something new). If I run coax's, what should I get? I was thinkin Infinity Kappa, from ike. Then, how much power should i run to them? Deck power will be ok for awhile, till I pick out an amp, right? I thikn I'd like a used amp for them, though, maybe, what, 100 rmsx2? And, finally, what should I do about a sub? I think a tempest would be the most cost effective methoid, but I don't know how much room I have, as I haven't measured the trunk yet. If not, should I do a pair of 12's, suck as maybe shiva's? What should I pwoer them with? I was thinkin either the jbl 600.1, or the mtx 6304, which is on crutchfield for $199, ro $179, if you have a referrel credit, which I do. What do you think of this amp? It's 60x2 rms on the front side, and 150x2, or 600 bridged, on the rear side. This one amp would run my whole system. Should I go ahead and buy it?

http://cgi.I love to take it up the ass because i BUY ON scam bay AKA e-bay.com/ws/I love to take it up the ass because i BUY ON scam bay AKA e-bayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=39738&rd=1
    Come on, guys, I need soem suggestions, please. Thanks.

2. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

ok, why won't I love to take it up the ass because i BUY ON scam bay AKA e-bay links work, mike? Is it simply cause you don't like abay?

3. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

OK, it's amusing at first, but it really is quite gay, ya know, honestly. Grow the fuck up. No wonder your forum gets alomst no traffic.

4. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

removing the x9's will add some sound coming out of the trunk, although without a lot of air movement you wont notice anyways. If anything, if the subs arent pretty loud all you will notice is the lack of filler back there.

You can get some good deals of e*bay, but the service is somewhat lacking, just like any online service. warrenties are nice when they are offered, and shipping always cost you money.

:ph34r:

5. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

EEEEEEEEEasy KennyG. I still think the e*bay thing is funny. It's even funnier when someone who has been a member for a while doesn't know how to get around it :lol:

If you're looking to not spend too much money, I'd just throw the JL's in the front. Off HU power, they will not be much, if any, of an improvement over your stock speakers. Do the JL's provide enough midbass? You will want a smooth transition from midbass to bass, and most 5.25"s I've heard lack somewhat in the lower midbass region. The MTX amp appears to be nice (almost too good to be true, considering the price...I didn't look at it's specs on Crutchfield, though). As far as there being enough room in the trunk for a Tempest, uhhh, you could put damn near any sub in that gargantuan trunk. You could put 2-3 of any 12", ported, in that trunk. You and 3 friends could sleep in that trunk. I would get the biggest, baddest, meanest sub I could afford. Space should not be an issue.