I Need Advice

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by krillin, Aug 13, 2004.

1. krillin

krillin New Member

I am installing a audio system and am wondering what size subwoofers i should get. I have a 1999 ford taurus. I want to use a 1200 watt amp to power to subwoofers. I am stuck on weather or not to use one or two woofers. Should i just get 10", 12", 15", im need some advice thanks.

2. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

how much are you willing to spend?
    generally speaking...a 10 will not be as loud as a 12 or a 15...
    i mean of course a 10" brahma on 1500 watts is going to be louder than a Pyle 15" sub...but you get the idea
    the size of the sub should depend on the vehicle and cost can also come into play as the bigger the speaker, the bigger the price
    a 12" adire brahma would work great off a 1200 watt amp assuming its 1200 watts RMS and not peak
    www.sound-foundations.us
    -Cody

3. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

If you haven't already purchased your amp, you should pick your sub first...then an amp to properly power it. 1200 watts sounds like a nice, round number, but you don't necessarily need that much to get stupid loud and sound very good. If you already have your amp, what ohm load does it do max rms power at? A few things to consider when choosing a sub-system:

1) Overall sub system budget.. You don't want to by a super sub and use a below average amp to power it. The cost of cabling/speaker wire and the box/box materials should also be taken into account. Get the best sub(s) you can afford.

2) How will you use your system? If you just want very, very good sounding bass that's reasonably loud, a small sealed sub system might be all you need. If you want to rattle the fillings in your teeth, a big ported box might be what you're after (in which case, you'll have to make sure you have enough room to get the desired volume, enough room to get the enclosure in the trunk and close the trunk lid without hitting the enclosure...and remember, with a ported box, you take the volume of the box, port, bracing and the sub to find gross volume. 15's are cool, but many cars cannot fit them...leading people to go with the ubiquitous 10 or 12 inch sub). Sooo, do you want spl (with sound quality taking a back seat), sound quaility (with spl taking a back seat), or a nice mixture of both? If you are going to stick with a stock front stage, you might not want to get "too much" bass as it will both drown out the front speakers, and the sub will sound muddy due to no higher frequency information to "balance" them out....subs by themselves sound muddy. You'll need a front stage that can "keep up" with your sub system.

3) Your electrical system....make sure it can handle whatever system you decide to put together -OR- make sure you leave enough money in your budget to make elec. system upgrades. A 1200 watt amp is going to suck up a lot of current...and that's in addition to whatever amp you may use for your front stage (and rear speakers, if you go that route).

Basically, it all boils down to your budget, available space, and music listening habits.

:)

4. krillin

krillin New Member

are square drivers better than circle ones? and is pyramid hyper pro a good brand of driver, pyle, or legacy, are they any good?

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Pyle and legacy are usually brands to stay away from. If the price is to good to be true then it probably is. ;)

6. krillin

krillin New Member

is sony ok to use cause i was lookin at the new pentagons, do you think square drivers are better than circle?

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I am going to delete your other Post with the same question, dont take offense but there is no need to have 2 posts with the same question....

There is no "best" there is only "best for your application"

luvdeftonz, asked a Few questions you have yet yo awnser, with out that Recommendations will be more or less pointless

We have to know

1> What your goal is
    2> How much Money you have to get that goal
    3> What kind of Box you want to run
    4> How Big that Box can be

Start with thoughs

Square has Advatages over Circle, but Circle has Advatages over Square, it all Depends on your End goal

I have never been a Fan of Sony Car Audio