I Like My Solobaric Sub, But......

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by texcon, Sep 23, 2004.

1. texcon

texcon Full Member

....it just doesn't seem to be an efficient use of the wattage I have available. It was a revolutionary sub, but even when I had my Tantrum 1200.1 on it, something was always lacking. It is really not an efficient sub at all and I am thinking of going a separate route to better utilize the wattage I have.

I am not a "bass head" by any means and really don't want anything along the lines of a Brahma or XXX, at least not now. My intial thoughts were to look for two 10" subs to hook up to my Ti600.2 to replace my one 12" Solobaric.

Some subs that come to mind are the IDQs or the Kodas. I have heard the IDQs and they sound really good. I have never heard the Kodas, but from everything I've read, I am sure they would sound good.

I'd like some subs that work well with around 300 watts RMS so I can match them up with my 600.2.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, what other subs might I consider? I always said that I'd just keep my Solo, but it is not giving me what I really want.

2. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

What exactly are you lacking with the Solo? Deep extension, spl...both? Assuming you've worked out all install variables, including LPF setting, gain setting, placement/firing direction, and I think you've even ported it (or maybe it was a different solo owner who did...), you're old solo might just be ready for retirement.

W6v2, IDQ, and Koda all seem like a great choice if 300 watts is all you have. The Koda, with xbl², ~8 mm more xmax than the Solo, modest box size requirements, and very modest power requirments seems like the best solution. The W6v2 would be cool, but it's twice as expensive as the Koda or IDQ. The Koda also allows you to port without any real loss in "sq", where as you (or whoever it was that ported the Solo) weren't real happy with a ported Solo. I think the final benefit of the Koda would be it's resale value. Some don't like what xbl² does to a driver's output, and if you don't, you shouldn't have any real problem selling it...and just grabbing an IDQ which you know you like.

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

IDQ is a very nice woofer but it has little extention. It is a woofer I frequently reccomend, but if you are comparing it to the W6V2 or the Koda there is really no contest. You are looking at 2 units using unique designs with the total target of SQ. The IDQ, while an amazing driver, is simply a well designed standard driver.

The Koda 10 is the best SQ woofer I have heard to date, and it is really a better performer than it looks like on paper. And, it is an affordable XBL2 driver. What a great way to get introduced to what XBL2 really is.

I give props to Manville and Co., the W6V2 is an amazing driver. It's SQ is really beyond what most companies have achieved in their flagship lines... and it is not their big boy.

But, I like XBL2, and at the risk of sounding like a sales slug I'd reccomend the Koda 10 over the rest. But, please bear in mind, every one of these woofers is amazing, and I believe that in going from a Solo to any one of these units you will NOT be disapointed.

4. texcon

texcon Full Member

Luv, the extension is one of the major, if not THE biggest thing I am lacking with the Solo. Even when I was giving it more than 600 watts, it just didn't have enough extension, esp with those low notes. A large Xmax is one thing the Solo does not have, that's for sure.

I have ported it and was not terribly pleased, although it made the sub more efficient (naturally). But the SQ I lost from porting it was not worth the increase in efficiency and the slight increase in SPL. It's a cool sub, but it might just be past its prime.

Seth - you have some really good points about all the drivers. Even as good a sub as the W6V2 is, I would 100% opt to try the Koda first. I have never played with an XBL2 driver, so this might be a good way to do that.

Thanks for the insight fellas - it helps a lot.

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

DEI Studio's if you can Find them