I found the source of the rattles

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I have found the source of most of my rattles and I have no idea how to fix it.
    The rattles are coming from the plastic dash that is behind the back seats where the rear speakers are. The plastic piece seems to shake a and the rattling is gone if I put some pressure on it with my body weight.

What should I do?

2. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

umm yeah, you answered your own question there. adding weight to something, in your case plastic, changes the resonance. basically, make it heavier by adding some dynomat and you will have less rattling. you can also shove something up under it, although that can look tacky if you can see it.

:ph34r:

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I dont know how to get under there and I really dont want tot ake chances if I dont have to. Has anyone ever taken off that plastic piece in a civic?

P.S. I think I will need lots and lots of dynamt to supply enough weight anyways. Ill try to take it off and hopefully its banging against something under enath it and not vibrating itself so that way I can use some weather stripping

4. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

you probly need to go in thru the trunk and take out a couple screws and clips, but i dont really know. the additional weight and some type of dynomat stuff (like weatherstrippping) should keep it from rattling.

and my chick is hotter than yours (in the current picture setup)

5. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I have narrowed it down even further; it appears that the shaking is coming from the third brake light. The plastic over it is shaking. It seems that the only thing I can do to fix that is either cut that platic piece out (bad) or put something heavy on it( not as bad)

P.S. I can go out and find a hotter Britney pic but this one is nice and innocent :D

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

No shit, larger pic please...

7. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

oh yeah britney is f-ing hot. period.

anyways...you might see if you can tighten the screws down any.

not sure how to upload an image to this forum that is not online...

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

9. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

I put rear speakers (and front speakers, and HU) in my dad's '98 Civic a few weekends ago. It is absolutely a pain in the arse to remove the rear deck. ASSUMING your '96 is similar to the '98, you first have to remove the back seat...yeah, the whole f'in thing has to come out of the car! Next remove the side panels on both sides of the rear cabin. Next, if you haven't broken your fist from punching the wall, you remove the rear deck. There are a few clips that tightly hold it in place. Putting everything back together isn't as bad, but it still sucks.

10. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

The worst part about taking the rear deck out (In My Nissan anyway) is that you seem to break one or two of the clips when you take the rear deck off so it rattles even more than when it did before you took it off. :angry:

11. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

So should I just crazy glue a 10 pound weight on top of the light? I have a 97 and it is the same thing as a 98. Dont ask why it says Civic96 :D

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Hehehehe....

I have the power!!!

[​IMG]

13. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Sandt can I thank you personally for shitting all over my thread? :angry: :D

14. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Wow, nice...

15. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I did enable Image attachments to the Postes for a few of the forums, as long as i is not abused it will stay that way

there should be a "file attachment" section on the posting screen, it will automatcally show the image and upload it to this sever

16. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

yes, you can...

just sent your thanks to sandt38@... :lol: :lol:

17. PerryB

PerryB Guest

We did this to my 98 Civic at the shop. Taking out the plastic shelf is kind of a hassle(had to remove part of the backseat. Once it was out, we put some scrap pieces of dynamat on the metal, then put the plastic back in. The rear speakers were removed as well. As for the 3rd brake light, you could just put something small between the 3rd brake light and the windshield(rubber bumper maybe?). For now, I just have a small piece of gray cloth folded in half in between there.