How's This Audio System Sound?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MasterForte, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MasterForte

MasterForte New Member

I currently have a 2002 Ford Mustang GT, and around a year ago, I bought an MTX 12" T8500 and was told that it wouldn't fit in my car without removing the seat. So now I'm making sure to ask around so I don't run into any more problems and waste more money and time then I have to. Please remember that I'm kind of a newbie at all this audio stuff. So I plan on changing up my whole audio system in the car and so far this is what I've come up with:

MTX Audio T8510-44 10" Subwoofer: (RMS: 500W/Peak: 1000W/Dual 4-Ohm)
    -MTX X Thunder 1000XD Mono-block Amplifier: (RMS: 4 Ohms 500W or 700W x 1 channel [The MTX site says 700, but I plan on purchasing from Techronics and it says 500, so I'm kind of confused about this]/2000W Max)
    **StreetWires PSC401D Power Station Capacitor: (1 Farad, 20/40 Volt)
    **StreetWires PSK00B Power Station Amp Kit: (1/0 AWG)
    **StreetWires ZN9250 ZeroNoise 9 Interconnect: (2 Channel Interconnect, 5m long)

Custom Built Ported Subwoofer Box

Clarion NX409 Head Unit: (2 DIN 6.5"/RMS: 19W x 4 channels/PEAK: 40W x 4 channels)

4 MTX Audio TDX6802 Thunder Dome Axial Car Speaker: (RMS: 60W/PEAK: 120W/4 Ohm/6"x8" Coaxial)
    -Pioneer GM-6400F Amp 4-Channel: (RMS: 60W x 4 at 4 Ohm/PEAK: 600W)
    **StreetWires PSK08Ri 8 Guage Wiring Kit: (8 AWG w/interconnect)
    **StreetWires ZN5250 Patch Cable: (2 Channel interconnect/5m long)

Now with just by purchasing these things, can I set up a good audio system in my car that will last a long time as long as it's done right? Do you see anything that I'm missing or do not need? And if you happen to know, will this work in my car?

I'm also thinking about buying a better alternator for my car. I use to have a blown MTX T8512 12" sub in my car (Box was too little and that's how it fit, which also caused it to blow), and had a MTX X Thunder 600xd. My lights would flicker and I think it made my battery weaker. So do you think I should also get a second battery put in?

Another question I have is since the speakers are getting the full 60W from the amp, the clarion head unit won't happen to give more watts then the speaker can handle will they? (Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm not sure if I plug the head unit in the head unit's amp will automatically be connected to the speakers. Just making sure so I can create an audio system that's built to last)

Okay so this is all I can remember to ask so far so does anybody have any opinions?

Thanks for all the help!

2. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

ditch the cap and throw a dry cell in the back, it would be a lot better. also if you havent already bought the street wires, you should look into getting some wires from www.knukonceptz.com - great wires for a good price. the equipment you have is decent, but is there any reason why you have chosen to run with mtx everything? imo, i dont think mtx is all that great.

to answer your second question, no the headunit wont give it more watts than the speakers can handle if you have them hooked up to the amp.

3. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

I don't know, we would have to hear it to know how it sounds...

Wow, that was corny :D

4. MasterForte

MasterForte New Member

Can you explain to me how the dry cell would be better than the cap? From what I've read capacitators don't do too much anyways so I think that would be a good idea. Also I haven't bought anything yet until I make sure it's a good setup, so I'll check those wires out. And to answer your last question, the reason why I go with MTX is because that's all I've been around. I use to have that MTX in the little box in my trunk, and my brother had two in his car, and they sounded great. Personally, I think MTX is a pretty good brand, but that's pretty biased since I haven't heard too much of the competition. My brother also had two Kicker L7's, which sounded pretty nice, but now he's got two MTX T9500 12"s and they really beat hard. Of course I'm not fully set up on MTX. I'm probably going to go to Roger's Audio and Best Buy and places to check out some other subs, but with MTX, atleast I know what I'm getting. Of course I haven't heard any MTX speakers yet and I'm probably gonna check them out at Roger's before I decided whether I like them or not. What are some of the brands that you prefer?

5. MasterForte

MasterForte New Member

I was waiting for someone to say that haha :)

6. MasterForte

MasterForte New Member

Can you explain to me how the dry cell would be better than the cap? From what I've read capacitators don't do too much anyways so I think that would be a good idea. Also I haven't bought anything yet until I make sure it's a good setup, so I'll check those wires out. And to answer your last question, the reason why I go with MTX is because that's all I've been around. I use to have that MTX in the little box in my trunk, and my brother had two in his car, and they sounded great. Personally, I think MTX is a pretty good brand, but that's pretty biased since I haven't heard too much of the competition. My brother also had two Kicker L7's, which sounded pretty nice, but now he's got two MTX T9500 12"s and they really beat hard. Of course I'm not fully set up on MTX. I'm probably going to go to Roger's Audio and Best Buy and places to check out some other subs, but with MTX, atleast I know what I'm getting. Of course I haven't heard any MTX speakers yet and I'm probably gonna check them out at Roger's before I decided whether I like them or not. What are some of the brands that you prefer?