How to identify some wires?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Christopherbean, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Christopherbean

Christopherbean Full Member

I want to use my stock speaker wire for my new speakers but not sure which is the pos and neg? Is there a way I can tell which is which? Besides going and buying a repair manual? It's a 98 Jeep grand cherokee.

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

are you looking at the speaker wire behind the dash or at the stock speaker locations??

3. danracer

danracer Full Member

4. mrmizcue

mrmizcue Full Member

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stereo Information:Constant 12V+Red/White ,Switched 12V+Red/Gray, Ground Black ,Illumination Blue/Red ,Dimmer Orange, Antenna Trigger Green/Red ,Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors Left Front (+)Green Left Front (-)Brown/Red Right Front (+)Purple/Yellow Right Front (-)Blue, Rear Speakers5 1/4" Rear Doors Left Rear (+)Brown/Yellow Left Rear (-)Brown/Light Blue Right Rear (+)Blue/White Right Rear (-)Blue/Pink

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  5. chrisbean

chrisbean Full Member

Thanks for the site and stuff. But I also need the colors for the factory Infinity amp. Some of the wires match up with the site/post above and some don't? LIke the Driver speaker wire AT the speaker is Blue/white and Brown? And the pass front is Blue/white and brown and red???? And the amp has two plugs with a total of 19 wires goin to/from it???? I REALLY don't want to run new wires since there is nothing wrong with the factory wires. Just gotta run new power wires for the amps. I plan on keeping the factory HU till I can find one I really like....and fits. And not an arm and a leg! I have 3 girls and would like to get a stereo that plays dvd's with a flip out screen when we go on long trips... more than 10 mins! lol

6. chrisbean

chrisbean Full Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  7. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

anybody ever just guess what colors are what? usually thees only 2 colorsl one solid and the other has a line in it. i think i did mine correct from where the speakers are. i have a 95 eclipse. maybe other cars are different.

8. chrisbean

chrisbean Full Member

Most of them are coded that way.Not always. But I have8 wires from the stereo and 12 to the speakers so I had to make sure I had the right ones!Plus I have to know which are the switched power supply to power on my amps.Guessing is not the best way! trust me...I've burned one or two stereo's doing that! But that was when I was about 13 and just getting into stereo's and they were OLD! Made pretty blue smoke though!