How to ground aftermarket head unit & harness?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DuhKidd, Dec 29, 2010.

1. DuhKidd

DuhKidd New Member

I just bought a AVH-P3200DVD head unit in my 08 Jeep, and on the head unit harness, there is a black ground wire that has a C-shaped metal end on it, the kind that is supposed to be attached to a grounded screw...

Now on my canbus Jeep harness, there is a black ground wire that is just a wire with no special end....

Am i supposed to thread these two wires together as with the rest of the harness' wires? Should I connect them together at a grounding screw? cut off the C connector? or does the harness wire go right to the headunit somewhere?

2. DuhKidd

DuhKidd New Member

in short: should I cut off C ring installed on the black ground wire on my head unit's harness and connect this to the black ground wire on the jeep attached harness? is this a sufficient ground?

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Yes you can cut it off and wire it to your ground wire in your factory harness, but I avoid factory grounds whenever I can. I always prefer to find a good chassis ground.

What I do to my vehicles is hook the HU ground to the factory harness and then I also run a 12ga wire from the chassis of the HU to a good metal ground in the vehicle.

4. DuhKidd

DuhKidd New Member

Thanks Ranger,

Would I be better off finiding a good ground from the headunit harness myself (using the C ring already attached) and just taping off the jeep harness ground?

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

That would be fine, and hopefully there is metal behind the radio that you can use.