How To Fix My Old Amp.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

I have an old Soundstream Reference 500 amplifier. When I got my Brahma 10, I kept getting one with a rattling sound. I went through three of them, before we figured out that it was the amplifier. I do want to say that Adire is awesome and replaced every sub for free. I decided to buy a new amplifier, but while waiting to be able to afford a new amplifier, the tinsel leads broke on the Brahma. Now for reference, my B10 was in a .36 cubic foot sealed enclosure. That amplifier does not have enough power to push my Brahma even close to far enough to break tinsel leads, even if the amplifier was fully clipped (which it wasn't). Dan mentioned that it could have been due to a DC offset in the amplifier.

Now I know some of you guys know electronics pretty well. So I was wondering if you guys know how to fix this? The amplifier is perfectly fine, becides this one issue.

Oh, and now you guys see why I think so highly of Adire and their customer service.
    :robot:

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I don't know how to fix that... it's possible there's some sort of bias adjustment inside the amp. If not, it would seem to indicate a faulty component in the amp.

Shame too, those old SoundStream reference series amps were real nice.

Does yours have the auto high-current/high-power mode detection, or did yours have the switch to manuallly select it?

3. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Definitely a very nice amp. Soundstream has THE best wire connection design out there IMO. It looks to be overbuilt in every way when you "pop the hood".

And yes it had the auto detection. I think my Reference 300 is manually switched.