how much and how long?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by psycho_maniac, Apr 28, 2008.

1. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

can anybody give me an estimate on how long it would take to install a high output alternator and the big 3 on a 1999 grand cherokee limited 4.7L v8? I will have the alternator and the wires for the big 3. they just gotta be cut to size and ends put on and installed.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

welcome back lol

i'd give it a day. how hard is it to get to the alt?

do you have your interior out ? or at least ready for wire?

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

depends on how much beer your drink and how many cigarette breaks you have...me it'd take a good part of the day haha.

I like to work slow and enjoy myself

4. psycho_maniac

Here is a pic of the engine bay wow never noticed where the alternator was
    [​IMG]

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

well the alt is right in front with easy access. Id say 15 minutes for the alt swap. The hardest is always engine to chassis ground. You can always make a new ground if you cant get to it. What is the red wire running over the engine and on top of the throttle body? Is it your power wire?

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

looks like you need to wire loom your power wire.

now you just have to figure out how to untention your belt.

get the manual for it. dont guess how to.

7. psycho_maniac

Thats not my jeep but a picture of the engine bay from another jeep. Thanks for the tip on the wire loom though before i actually put my power wire in there.

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I ground the alternator casing to the battery negative...while the engine is on and the alternator is providing power the casing is the absolute ground of the electrical system. It helps my electrical A LOT with the added alt casing to battery ground.