How many watts should I give 15"brahmas in 1.8...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Slump_Da_Hustla, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Slump_Da_Hustla

Slump_Da_Hustla Full Member

cubes each? Sealed. I can't download winsd. I was just wondering how many watts they will handle in my box. B)

2. sundownz

sundownz Full Member

1.8 ft^3 is a little small for a 15" Brahma IMHO. They should stand up to the full 1600-watts RMS in a box that small though, but I wouldn't expect the best SQ possible. I run my 15" Brahma in about 3 ft^3 sealed.

Last edited by sundownz at Sep 10 2002, 07:06 PM

3. Slump_Da_Hustla

Eventually they're going to go in a a much bigger ported box, but it's gonna take me alot of trial and error before I get that put together...

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The Brahma is rated in such a way that is basically indicative of it's purely thermal power handling capabilities...
    The VOICE COIL can handle 1600 watts continuously... all day long...

However, the other important factor is the Physical "power handling" of the subwoofer, which will change with absolutely every enclosure that you put it in...
    Because enclosure design is tied directly to the efficiency of the subwoofer...
    Efficiency being the amount of watts you need to feed the sub to get it to reach full excursion.

The bigger the box, the less power you need to reach full excursion..
    So, even though the Brahma alone handles 1600 watts thermally, you most likely won't need anything near that to reach full excursion...
    In fact, in a big box, you can bottom out your Brahma, or pull the leads out of the cone, with much less than 1600 watts... depending on enclosure, and even frequencies played, of course! ;)

Your box is small.. which means you are safer, in terms of powerhandling...

Your ported box will be absolutely ideal in terms of powerhandling right near the tuning frequency, and only getting slightly lower as you move higher than the tuning frequency.. but bear in mind that as you move below the tuning frequency, PHYSICAL powerhandling will drop off like a rock, get too far below your tuning frequency and the sub behaves like it's not in a box at all... with no 'air spring' to help keep it in check! Very easy to bottom it playing frequencies below your tuning frequency, so be sure to enable your subsonic filter, if you are choosing a tuning frequency that is somewhat high! ;)

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

And why can't you download WinISD?

If I can download WinISD, YOU can download WinISD!

I am on freebie dialup service! :D

6. bigsexxxy69

bigsexxxy69 Full Member

yeah have you gone directly to there website to download it, its http://www.linearteam.dk/ and downloads are working just fine :)

7. Slump_Da_Hustla

I only have access to a comuter at work, and I don't think they want us downloading stuff onto it. When I get back to the states I'll download it though.

8. Slump_Da_Hustla

What would you consider the defining characteristics of the small box sound? From my understanding, the bass will not be as deep and wont "linger" around as long. I guess a higher, quicker hitting bass note is what I'm expecting, but I've never used a small ported box before so I'm just guessing. I really can't wait to hear this set-up! Too bad I'm stuck I'm stuck in another country while my poor system gathers dust :( BTW, I'd really like your opinion (and anyone elses) on what kind of car to get in the 4k price range. Just don't suggest a 73' dodge challenger... ;)

9. Alan

Alan Full Member

whats wrong with a dodge challenger?!
    my mom used to have one....
    was a beaut too!!!!
    i'll have to post some pics up in this motha.

10. Slump_Da_Hustla

It's sweet, I just don't have the money to paint it. Also the trunk is too small.