how many cc would a 2 channel amp need?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by pearce, Jul 29, 2009.

1. pearce

pearce Full Member

hi.

I was about to buy a kicker kx75.2 but then I was told about cold cranking amps.

Im wondering what my battery's cca would need to be for this amp?
    currently its 270, which Ive been told is way to small.

I've also been told that a big 3 upgrade would fix the problem?

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i honestly don't think you would have any problems running an amp like that... I have a expedition... stock battery and alt with over 1500 watts rms total in the system and my only upgrade was the big 3.

what is your stock alternator? how many amps? at any rate, you won't have to do any upgrades with a 75.2 amp.

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

that amp will most likely not harm your charging system.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

And CCA has nothing to do with your adding an amp and sub.

5. pearce

pearce Full Member

Thankyou all.

I've found some cheapo amp at one of my local stores and am wondering if it is worth the small amount of money it costs. im not rich so its either this amp -
    https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=2112

I think its some no name crappy brand, but not 100%
    Peak Music Power: 1000W

Continuous Power (RMS): Stereo Output 45 x 4 (4OHM)
    80W x 4 (2OHM)
    Bridgen Output 150W x 2 (4OHM)

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz

How come above it says 40 and 20 ohm, dont amps run off 4 ohm same as head units?

Or a kicker kx75.2 second hand for 50 dollars.
    About 20 dollars difference in price, the kicker has less rms. I think 38 rms x 2 @ 4ohm.

The amp I would get would be powering either 2 or 4 speakers, depending on the amp.

What do you reckon?

6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

no, an amp can run in different configurations. anywhere from 4 all the way down to .25ohms depending if the amp stable. My two 12" subs are at 1ohm but my speakers up front are at 4ohms.

Well, as for the amp. it is a cheapo so don't expect much from it. I mean, if you wanna risk the money and have 4 channel amp to run all your speakers then go for it. Kicker is a better amp though and it will do more than rated power. The cheapo amp prolly won't do what it's rated to do.

that's just my 2 cents. If you just want to power the front speakers go with kicker amp..

7. pearce

pearce Full Member

thankyou I am buying the kicker.
    A crossover for a tweeter is just something that blocks low frequencies, right?
    Is it the same as a high pass filter?