how long can you drive with a thrown rod?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Slump_Da_Hustla, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Slump_Da_Hustla

Slump_Da_Hustla Full Member

My car has a thrown rod. How far can I drive it? I need to trade it in before it's un-driveable... :eek:

2. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I think you will be the one to answer that question very soon.

I love being the comic relief on this forum :lol:

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Well that depends on which "rod"

I would say none,

but it is "possible" to drive it to car lot with a blown Lifter Rod, but the car lot will easyly know what is wrong with it and will either A giving you nothing for it, or B refuse the trade

a Pistion rod, you will not go anywhere

4. Slump_Da_Hustla

Well it just makes a loud knocking sound. It still seems to run OK though. The weird thing is it's a '99 with 95k on it. I don't know for sure that it has a thrown rod BTW, that was just an opinion someone gave me.

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

lol a "knock" could be a million things

my advice if you want to keep oit, take it to a shop and have them look at it

6. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

LOL......good advice Mike :lol:

7. Slump_Da_Hustla

Really I don't want to keep it anyway. Thinking of getting a camry.

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

What year?
    We have a 02 and it feels like you are floating when you drive that car. I personally hate that feeling.

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

put a quart of 90weight gear oil in it and don't drive it antwhere but to the lot to trade it. The gaer oil will quiet a rod knock. If you "threw a rod" there would be a tremendous hole in the side of your engine. Sounds like you spun a bearing ;)

10. Matt5L

Matt5L Guest

yea get rid of that thing... :eek:

11. Slump_Da_Hustla

Yeah I don't think its a thrownrod. I'm still gonna trade it in though. It's a 99 chevy malibu and after 3 years of paying on it I'm still upside down on it. Lesson learned: american-made cars (not trucks/suv's) don't hold thier value very well. Now I just need

12. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

its a shame you had to learn it the hard way :(

13. FRITO

FRITO Guest

:) get a camry!!! check mine out btw!

14. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

NO New Cars hold there value

NONE, american made has nothing to do with it at all........

15. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

NO New Cars hold there value

NONE, american made has nothing to do with it at all........[/b][/quote]
    I believe that you are mistaken. New imports hold their value much better than a Domestic in the same price range. You can use www.kbb.com and compare prices of two cars that originally cost close to the same thing and see that imports tend to hold their value better.

2003 Civic Ex (1.7 L) w/o side air bags---> 18,000
    2003 Chevy Cavalier LS (2.2L)--->18,000

Value:
    2001 Civic--->11,2600
    2001 Cavalier--->7,875

That is a 3,000 dollar difference

16. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I really hate to agree with Civic :lol: , but Hondas hold their value very well. An example, go look at a 97 Honda Passport on Kellybluebook.com. Now look at an Isuzu Trooper, same year, engine, options, mileage. This will give you a rough idea of what I mean as it is a recent deal I looked up for a friend. Notice the value of the Honda as compared to the Isuzu? It is the EXACT SAME FUCKING TRUCK. All the Honda has are some "H"s on them.

It is in the name. Also typically the buyer or Honda cars (like a civic) are younger kids, without much real idea of cars and their value. They want a reliable car they can rice out cheaply. Hondas fit the bill and as uneducated spenders they will pay more for that used car. It is just the law of supply and demand.

17. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Sandt what did I ever do to deserve your hatred towards me? :D

18. Slump_Da_Hustla

I really hate to agree with Civic :lol: , but Hondas hold their value very well. An example, go look at a 97 Honda Passport on Kellybluebook.com. Now look at an Isuzu Trooper, same year, engine, options, mileage. This will give you a rough idea of what I mean as it is a recent deal I looked up for a friend. Notice the value of the Honda as compared to the Isuzu? It is the EXACT SAME FUCKING TRUCK. All the Honda has are some "H"s on them.

It is in the name. Also typically the buyer or Honda cars (like a civic) are younger kids, without much real idea of cars and their value. They want a reliable car they can rice out cheaply. Hondas fit the bill and as uneducated spenders they will pay more for that used car. It is just the law of supply and demand.[/b][/quote]
    Does honda make isuzu?

19. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

It is in the name. Also typically the buyer or Honda cars (like a civic) are younger kids, without much real idea of cars and their value. They want a reliable car they can rice out cheaply. Hondas fit the bill and as uneducated spenders they will pay more for that used car. It is just the law of supply and demand.[/b][/quote]
    it still does not matter

If you buying a Car based on how well it hold value

well you dont need ot be buying a car

a car is not a Investment for the Furture

A car is a something to get you around, and to have fun with sometimes

ALL CARS lose value, and 60-70% of that lose occurs in the first 5 years........

20. Anthony

Anthony Full Member

I believe that you are mistaken. New imports hold their value much better than a Domestic in the same price range. You can use www.kbb.com and compare prices of two cars that originally cost close to the same thing and see that imports tend to hold their value better.

2003 Civic Ex (1.7 L) w/o side air bags---> 18,000
    2003 Chevy Cavalier LS (2.2L)--->18,000

Value:
    2001 Civic--->11,2600
    2001 Cavalier--->7,875

That is a 3,000 dollar difference[/b][/quote]
    because most likely you wouldnt pay $18k for either of thoe cars...
    My friend got a 2002 Cavalier for $8000. Yes, eight thousand. Brand new.