How Do You Like Your Music To Sound?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by hobbes26, Jan 16, 2004.

1. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

I'm currently trying to aim my speakers in the kicks for a decent soundstage, and
    when listening to the music, say something recorded live (eg. Hotel California),
    sometimes it sounds as if I'm in the crowd, with the clapping/cheering surrounding
    me and sometimes it sounds as if i'm at the back of the room, everything in front
    of me... What's it supposed to sound like and what do you prefer? I like it when it
    feels like i'm in the crowd... It feels more 3D-ish and like i'm closer to the
    music, but then changing the recording to something in the studio, sometimes it
    sounds flat and not as lively... hmm... maybe it's the recording...

Also, do any of you (with speakers in the kicks) have problems with legs blocking
    or not blocking the passenger side speaker? I had it set up so that it sounded good
    with a passenger sitting there, but when I'm sitting alone in the car, the right side
    speaker sounded sooo much louder than the left - I'm thinking it's mainly the
    tweeter that's the problem... Any way to counter it so it sounds good both ways?
    Maybe try to aim the right speaker more off-axis / or the left speaker more on-
    axis?

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I don't listen to many live recordings with an audience, so this is kinda hard for me to answer. I just want to be able to see the band in front of me, and feel like i'm at the concert. Basically i just want it to sound like the live concert would. When i went to see Evanescence in concert, i didn't think it was one of the better sounding shows i'd seen, but overall it was probably in my top 5 as far as best overall show. Anyway, on some songs their guitars are nothing but pure distortion...one note wonders if you will. This really got on my nerves at the concert as i thought one of the speakers had blown and was making that god awful noise. However, when i got home and listened to the same song again, that's exactly how the guitar sounds in the recorded track. It wasn't as forward in the car as it was at the concert (thank god) but the sound was still the same. There are plenty of other bands that are just like this...Staind is another one i can think of off the top of my head.

Basically, i just want the sound to be in front of me, with the lead singer in the middle (if that's where he/she is supposed to be) and have it sound just like the live concert...whether that be a good or bad sound.

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

To me, I like to be "in the crowd"...

Think about what it means, to sound like you are in the back of the room...
    Because it sounds like it's way out there in front of you, that probably means your stage is narrower, and lower... neither of which are generally regarded as positive attributes.

It shouldn't sound like you are directly smack center in the crowd, that's not really the issue...
    It's normal - and expected - that you'll be (if sitting in the drivers seat) a bit to the left hand side of the stage... that's just like what it would sound like if you were there in that live environment, if you were just to that side a bit.

The stage should sound as wide as possible... and as high as possible.
    Ultimately, it really is to your liking - but that's generally what people agree to like, and you may grow to that same liking.. I'd almost advise installing that way even if you are thinking otherwise.

Who wants to be in the back of the room anyway, you wallflower! :lol:

4. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

I like it when it feels like it's surrounding me.... but it seems like that feeling/sound
    is so hard to achieve when I'm constantly moving positions. Say I set it that way
    once, next day, I sit in the seat in the 'same' position, and it sounds totally different
    It's so hard to make it sound like that consistently. I've got both the mids and the
    tweets down there too, so it's been a challenge to make it sound 'not' like it's
    coming from down there... and i'm not about to add A-pillar tweets... <_<

5. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

I've been doing the SQ thing for a while, and I've learned my own personal likings. I do love everything to be pinpoint, but you have to make sacrafices for that, and some of those I'm not willing to make, so the things I really try to achieve when I set up systems for myself are as follows....

1. Natural sound of course, mostly EQ here after finding final speaker positioning

2. A nice center image. Doesn't have to be pinpoint, but it has to be placed in the middle of the stage if thats where it's meant to be. I can't stand the singer being to the left of the right. And by center I dont mean directly in front of me, I mean in the center of my dash.

3. Probably the thing that bugs me slightly more than the other two, stage height. I couldn't care less if the stage is at my windshield wipers or the edge of my hood, depth I dont care too much about. Width isn't as bad either, as long as it isn't all compressed to the middle, but stage height kills me. If the left or right side of the stage draws to the floor it drives me nuts. I cant stand it.

So basically I like to have a stage that has a nice central image and that has eye level height from left to right, and I like the sound to be on point of course as well, those are my three biggest things.

6. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

The things I aim for, in my car at least, when trying to get it just "right"..."right" defined by me, not an online stranger...

Stage Height: I like it so the band/vocalist(s) sound as if their just above eye level. Like Josh mentioned, a stage that is at your knees grates on the nerves. It also makes me focus on speaker placement instead of just listening to the music. I don't want to know my speakers are "down there".

Stage Depth: Mine is currently (in my head/ears) where the dash and windshield meet. That's deep enough for me. I could care less if Mike Ness or Chino Moreno is sitting on the front of my hood! If the stage is too deep, again, it breaks my concentration. It just doesn't sound right way the hell up there.

Stereo Seperation/Width: Huge for me. If there's one thing that really ruins imaging (obviously), it's terrible stereo seperation. I hate if everything is stage left, or stage right. I want it all nicely delineated and seperated. I don't, however, need width so wide it's 2 feet outside my side mirrors. As long as everyone is where they're suppossed to be, I'm cool. Systems with a right side or left side bias just plain irk me. I just bought the AutoSound 2000 cd, "My Disc", and was very surprised at how awesome I was able to get both my seperation and width without any time allignment or special processors.

Amazing how good average speakers can sound if you take the time to install them properly. Now, if I could only get my truck to sound as good as my home system...

:)

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I'll go with what Josh said, but I prefer the singer and center stage at my right eye..

When I'm driving down the road ideally I want to be drawn to where my gaze belongs. Psychologically, we tend to tilt our heads to where the sound appears to be coming from. I feel, if you set your stage hieght appropriately, your head should be in a level position, straight ahead, without giving it any thought about which direction to point it in. if you feel yourself driving down the road with your eyes up or down, your stage hieght is off.

As far as being enveloped in sound, and other times feeling like they are in front of you, that is simply presentation and recording of the music. Sometimes, it feels as if the music is simply recorded against a wall in front of me, while othertimes, I can hear a high-hat right at my knee, and a large crash cymbol rolling all around me. Provided the system can accurately produce those "3D" effects you are set up right. If you notice some tunes are flat, then it may simply be in the recording.

I feel you on the passenger thing. I determined how I drive most often and set it from there. For instance, in my Nat I almost always drive alone, so I set it up for that scenario. I even loosely assembled things and didn't completely finish the comp install for almost 6 weeks. When I installed the stuff, I found myself making myself sit differantly to correct for issues in my system. I found that when I drove like normal (to and from work) I would sit more natrually and notice weaknesses in the system. My leg position, the fact that I lean slightly to one side, arm position, etc. all made noticeable differances. Differances which I corrected over time.

8. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

When I asked about how things were supposed to sound... I meant, do you know or
    want to know the positions of the instruments when the recording was made? Do
    you adjust the speakers to make it sound like that? Also, are there any recordings
    that you specifically use to help adjust the speakers?

Ah, that's the problem... gotta figure how to aim it so it sounds like it's coming from
    the dash - most of the time it sounds like it's coming from there, but certain sounds
    draw attention to the kicks.... the width is difficult to get too - it doesnt seem to go
    further past my speaker on the left side - the right side is not as difficult to get
    right.

Ppl who know me know i'm quiet... :blush:

Yes, I've noticed a lot of times in studio recordings, especially r&b/rap stuff that all
    it sounds like is left, right and centre... there's no enveloping feeling, no depth, just
    the singer(s) right in the middle with all the instruments there as well, with
    occasional left/right sounds.... of course, much of the time, it's 'electronic'
    instruments anyways...

Another question:
    When adjusting your kicks before finalizing the angles and positioning, what do you
    use to separate the 'rear wave' of the speaker from the front? I'm using old
    t-shirts but they don't seem to do a good job, and i'm lacking a LOT in the
    midrange/midbass region...

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I don't know the position that the instruments are "supposed" to be in, in the recording.
    But if I find recordings (usually simpler, high-quality ones) that do allow you to discretely place the instruments, I don't worry about what's "supposed" to be there...
    I just want it to sound realistic, believable, to me. If the singer is to one side a little bit, and the guitar just off-center in the other direction... that's not a problem, that's placement, and really the only place it could come from is the recording.. so, it's essentially a self-satisfying test. B)
    That's how a "realistic" reproduction would sound, with a good install.

However, what usually ends up happening is that things don't sound so convincing.
    In my Civic, I currently have a problem as I haven't got my mids aimed right...
    The symptom is, often the singer, or guitar player, even though the recording would place them nice and centered... in the Civic, it sounds like there are two singers, standing next to each other... or two guitar players. You can hear a slight, but audible void in the center.
    It's not that placement per-se is bad, but rather distorted.
    Often, people get that "rainbow effect", most often from having the speakers a bit too on-axis to them. This is another sort of distortion... the image of the stage droops to the kickpanels, but rises in the center.

My point is, if you HAVE musician/stage placement... it's right, true to the recording.
    It isn't as though musicians get placed about into wrong places... it's more that the image is somehow smeared and distorted into simply the wrong shape...
    Picture the acoustic version of the funhouse mirror room. :p

Stage width is really a function of how far to the outsides your speakers are... and to some degree the width of the vehicle and where you sit relative to that width.
    I've seen some guys in the past couple years cutting into the voids in their unibodies, behind the kick-panels, so that they didn't have their speakers protruding from their kickpanels (which would narrow the stage width), but rather were recessed flush to the kickpanels (which widens the stage).
    Doors are nice flush, wide locations... the problem with doors are the pathlength differences, right to left.

Pick your poison. :bag:

As far as kick-panels go... I've never made truly sealed ones. Mine have been built to seal against the factory carpeting. But I haven't used kickpanel locations for quite a few years now..
    For aiming, temporarily mounting, you really shouldn't care about the loss of midbass... sure, expect it.