High end/Low end comparison

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Well to fix my broken CD player, I asked a friend of mine if I could have a low end broken CD player he has and doesn't need. It is a Sony 4250 that he used for parts a while ago, and stole the roller part. I opened it up and was amazed at the difference between the two head units.

First of all, mine is a Sony ES CDXC-880 which retailed for $650 and was just below the CDX-C910 when it was out. So it was Sony's second best CD player back when they built decent stuff (pre-Xplod). The 4250 was not a ES unit, but I'm not sure where it lays in Sony's line beyond that. The Sony units are very plug and play. The CD section easily unplugs from the pre-amp parts. In the preamp section, there was such a huge difference. The 880 had mass electronics all around. The 4250 had a very empty circuit board. There just really isn't a comparison. It's like seeing some of those cheap amps that when you open it up, and the circuit board takes up like 1/3 of the area and only has a couple components. While the 880 is a Brax (etc.) circuit board stacked full of components. On the CD section, everything, including the laser looked identical between the two units. All except for the main circuit board. The 4250's was a little more sparce, and only one sided as I found out. The 880's was full, on both sides.

I just found it very interesting and thought maybe someone else may as well. I'll try to get some pics up and put them on my site.

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

The diffrence in sound quality is probably like night and day right? I bought a $200 Aiwa for my first head unit. After that died 6 months later <_< I purchased the Kenwood MP919 I have now. When I first heard it I was like :jawdrop: it sounded so good it was amazing. The sad part is I experimented with an even lower ($100) model inbetween the two decks. That deck sounded worse than the radio on my alarm clock...

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yea, i've gone up the ladder as far as HU's are concerned IMO. I started off with some POS RF HU and 4 HU's later i've got my Alpine.

And Seth or any other Pioneer lovers, do not start a flamewar, IMO the Alpine has a more uncolored sound than the Pioneer...i'm well aware you think otherwise :).

4. trifle

trifle Full Member

i seriously don't see how people like pioneer that much

what's next...jvc fans? ~shrugs~

5. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

What'd i say about not starting a flamewar shawn? :angry:

Welp, here we go.

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Ahh, when you guys get older you'll have good taste.

7. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

agreed

8. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yes, and then i'll get my Nak CD700 or something of the like :).

9. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

heh, how much older seth? You're older than dirt, and you still have shitty taste.. :lmfao:

10. trifle

trifle Full Member

heh, how much older seth? You're older than dirt, and you still have shitty taste.. :lmfao: [/b][/quote]
    LMA-thafawk-oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

harsh....

seriously, pioneer has functions for the money, but i mean we all know that the all new KIA's n hyundai's come fully loaded for 3-4 thousand less than accords, but that doesn't make them any better does it?

in my opinion pioneer is for the younger crowd

and oh yeah chris, you told the pioneer lovers not to start a flamewar, that doesn't include me... :oops:

11. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

LOL, i thought it was understood for no one to start a flamewar. It looks like we're in the clear though :).

12. trifle

trifle Full Member

nope, you only said pioneer fans

"And Seth or any other Pioneer lovers, do not start a flamewar"

you said it yaself

13. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

:bag: Ok, you win, I lose. You're cool, I'm not.