Help me decide

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by CrownRoyal, Jan 23, 2003.

1. CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal Guest

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

Here is my question : I m trying to decide whether to go with 2 elemental design 10k's in a PORTED box, or to go with 2 12k's in a SEALED box.

Due to trunk restrictions, I believe that it will be extremely hard (but not impossible) to get a ported box for those 2 12k's in my trunk .... but it is an option I guess. The Brahmas are way too expensive for me to even consider :D

The other option (sort of) is 2 12 adire shiva's , but from what Ive heard these require large boxes, even in a sealed application, which bothers me.

Anyways, what would you guys pick ? I really dont want to sacrifice too much of my trunk, and I wont be changing subs anytime soon ... this is my first system and rather than going with soemthing cheap at the start Im saving up and want to get a good quality lifetime out of my first setup.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks ! :p

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I like the E12Ks ability to get lower than the 10s. Overall the E12Ks are fantastic woofers. I feel their closest competition would be the Shiva, and Perfect. Unfortunately, as you mentioned the Shivas do need fairly large enclosures. Typically 1.8-2 feet sealed per driver. If you cut that in half, you have the E12Ks "happy" box. I have run Shivas and have installed E12Ks and E15Ks. While I love the Shiva, it is a home theater subwoofer and has some of the drawbacks and benefits of the HT design. Dual 8 ohm coils, large enclosure size, ugly as sin (this could be a benefit if you are like me ;) ) and the ability to get nice and low being examples of both good and bad. Realistically if you are looking for a more ideal woofer, the E12Ks are the ticket IMHO. Also consider Perfects (not as loud as the Ks) IDQs (maddeningly quick woofer, a truely sweet woofer, but doesn't go as low as the K) or JL W6s (not nessicarily V2s, just the old W6s). These are just a couple other woofers I consider to be within the realm of what you are looking for.

3. CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal Guest

So you would then definetly recommend 2 12ks in a sealed enclosure over 2 10k's in a ported ones ?

The ID subs and JL subs are ridiculously overpriced, at least in my area, and yeah I know youre gonna say go online, but 1) Im in Canada, and 2) Im not an E-bay kind of person :p

So I think its come down to EDs, its just 2 10s ported or 2 12s sealed.

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I've asked Ben (kaosmoon), the owner of ED, what his thoughts were on the differences between the e10k and the e12k. He was very quick to say that the 12" woofer was definitely the way to go because of the large gain in the lower end. I'd go with a couple e12k's sealed, or IDQ's if you can find them cheap ;) .

5. CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal Guest

Hmmmm ... well Ive just been contacted by a seller who is offering 2 10k's for a very reasonable price. Theyve never been used...

I'd like to buy them and throw them in a ported box. I could also get 2 12s, but that would cost me almost twice as much as getting 2 10s off the private sale.

What do you guys think ? 2 10s ported shouldnt be bad ... tuned to about 32 Hz in a 2.24 cubic foot box