Help me build my system please.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Penguinfan, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Penguinfan

Penguinfan New Member

Hello all. I briefly intorduced myself in the new member section and really need help outfitting my car.

The more I read on this board the more I realize how little I know and how much help I'm gonna need.

My car is an 09 Chevy Cobalt that has the "upgraded" Pioneer 7-speaker system in it. I'd very much like to not have to cut new holes for anything, but that is in play if need be.

I have looked at what seems like hundreds of head units and can't decide on one yet so how about we start with speakers and amps?

My hope is by the end of this thread the stereo is complete and sounding great.

I am not so arrogant as to say cost doesn't matter, but I do have some disposable income to use on this.

Let's get started with the speakers:

There is a subwoofer in the trunk, I don't think it's very impressive at all so it's coming out and being replaced, but with what?

The rear deck speakers are 6x9's and the front speakers I believe should be components.

Who has a suggestion for amps/speakers/crossovers for me?

I am VERY partial to Alpine products, but can be sold on something else.

All help is appreciated.

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Are you more for SQ? Alpine does make good head units but for me the ultimate SQ head unit is Eclipse but that's just my opinion...

So, i have to ask what your budget would be for a head unit, amps and speakers. The speakers that you're car takes is:

Front speakers
    Front Door: 6-3/4"

Rear speakers
    Rear Deck: 6x9"

Let us know first on how much you are looking to spend and what kind of goals you want to achieve for your system...

3. Penguinfan

Penguinfan New Member

Thank you for the reply. I'll have to figure out what SQ stands for before I answer that.

Otherwise, as for what I want out of a system, I don't need anything that is going into a competition or is so friggin loud people hear me coming a mile or two away.

What I would like is a head unit that will control my IPOD and has Sirius/XM onboard, I am tired of that box hanging off my windshield.

I'm pretty sold on components for the front and 6x9's for the rear deck, where I get lost is on the subwoofer(s) and the amps to power everything. I also know nothing about crossovers.

I also don't want to give up the Bluetooth, On-Star and steering wheel controls the car has now. If I have to install another Blutooth controler so be it.

I am sure I don't know enough about things like wiring, fuses, ect.... as well.

As far as a budget I probably shouldn't go over $2000 for everything, including installation if I can't do it myself.

Again, I appreciate any help you folks can be.