Help isolating whine

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by freak123, May 21, 2009.

1. freak123

freak123 Full Member

I just installed my speakers, deck, amp and sub. Turn it all on and hear the dreaded whine from the speakers. Increased with gas pedal so I'm thinking alternator whine.Here are the things I tried already:
    Unplug rca's from amp =no whine
    pull deck
    unplug antenna= whine
    pull rca's from deck=no whine
    I tried measuring a bunch of stuff but I'm new to audio so I don't know if any of the numbers matter. I measured from frame to deck ground wire~0.1ohm
    amp ground terminal to frame~0.1ohm.
    amp ground terminal to deck ground~0.1ohm
    After I put the deck back in I noticed the whine had also picked up a little static so obviously I changed something while messing around.
    Also when I put the fan on high it while increase the whine.
    Any suggestions?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hmm so no whine with rca's unplugged. are they running on the same side as your power?

3. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Nope. The RCA's come down the along the door sill and the power is up the hump in the middle of the truck. Not quite the other side but it seemed like good separation to me? What makes me think it's a ground is that the sound seemed to change a bit after I messed with the deck wiring. I also measured from the head unit chassis to the rca plug ground and saw ~0.1ohms. I'm really trying not to rip everything apart again.

4. pedro quiroga

is this a pioneer head by chance?

5. freak123

freak123 Full Member

yup pioneer premier DEH-P510UB. I've seen the trouble with other head units but hope that it doesn't affect mine. I wish I would seen that stuff before I bought it. I've haven't had any time lately but I think I will try a ground to the rca shield at the deck and see what that does. Can't hurt. I've heard that if you have continuity to the chassis that means the ground tracks should be good but you never know.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  6. pedro quiroga

maybe the problem lies in the head. try grounding the rca's like you said

7. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Okay so I finally had time to pull my deck again. I used am ohm meter and double checked 0 ohms to all plugs. I used the wire trick and it eliminated the static and cut the whine in half but did not make it disappear. So it looks like it is half the problem. I guess I call pioneer tomorrow and see if they will send me a new deck.

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Try one other thing, run a wire from the chassis of the radio to the chassis of the amp. See if that helps.

9. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Okay so stereo shop called. It is not the deck even though grounding the rca shield made the noise go away. Obviously it's something with a ground. Any ideas.

10. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

i had an alternator whine too, i hated it sooo bad. i finally figure out its cuz my 4 channel amp's RCAs were close to my ground wire...just wanted to share lol

11. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Time to pull my hair out for another week. Okay so I don't have access to another deck at this time to try so.... The stereo shop assures me that the deck is fine. I've tried grounding the deck straight to the battery no change. I tried grounding the chassis to the same ground as the amp, there was a slight reduction of static but not much. I tried to use an mp3 player straight into the rca's but I never had any wire for the remote turn on. I used the deck with no rca's and the mp3 with rca's and the noise is still there. Do I just run a small wire straight from the battery to the remote turn on? The only thing that works well is the rca ground to the chassis of the deck. I know its not the best way to fix it but is there a problem with putting a wire there and leaving it permanently?

12. pedro quiroga

so with out the deck connected you still have noise? then its not the head its somewhere by the amp or the amp itself.

13. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Well the wiring harness for the deck was still connected because I never ran a separate remote wire to turn the amp on. No out put from the rca's of the deck though.

14. pedro quiroga

thats what i mean. you didnt have the deck connected to the amp. so it cant be the deck making the noise.

15. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Good point but then the question is still why when I ground the rca shield to the deck does the noise stop? I'm gonna run a remote wire and plug the mp3 directly into the amp and see if that changes anything.

16. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Okay new info. So it looks like I was fooled. The problem does not appear to be the deck even though the rca trick works. I hooked the remote wire to the power as instructed and hooked my mp3 to original rca's. A litttle noisy and engine whine. I thought the noise might be from my cheap connector but... I take another set of rca's set them and my mp3 on the seat. No noise, no whine. It must be rca placement. Even when I ran a set from deck to amp there was noise so it must have something to do with being close to the dash. Someone suggested wrapping the rca's in tinfoil and making sure it touches the deck chassis and metal in dash. Other ideas?

17. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

did you run your rcas on the same side as your power?

18. freak123

freak123 Full Member

No, they aren't on separate sides but the rca's are on one side and the power down the middle. When we put the deck in we had lots of extra rca wire and coiled it up inside the dash. I'm wondering if this could be it. I'll pull it all out tomorrow.

19. pedro quiroga

i used to have a 12v socket behind the dash giving power to a portable XM receiver and i got some noise too untill i moved it away from my rca's.

maybe the extra coiled up rca's are picking some noise behind the dash.

i would take the slack out and move it near the amps, just leave enough to work with behind the dash.

20. freak123

freak123 Full Member

Thanks for everyone's help and input. I moved the rca's today with no change. I removed the extra wire and put it under the carpet. I went to the stereo shop and swapped for a brand new deck. Still no change so I did the last thing left and grounded the rca's. I know it's not the best solution but it worked and there is no noise. My patience is gone for now, maybe someday I will try again.